My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

September 28, 2021
By Anonymous

My parents raised me to believe my name gives me superpowers. My mom’s name is Cindy meaning light, my dad’s meaning brave and strong. When I was younger, I felt my name's meaning was boring and meaningless compared to my friends and my parents. I mean who wants their name to mean a good listener. Certainly, my parents questioned whether my superpower was actually going to live out

“Sam!” my mom yelled from the bottom of the stairs. It always took a couple of tries to get a response out of me. It’s not my fault I just always happened to be listening to great music with no worries or cares. It wasn’t until I was older that my superpower really took effect. It really showed with my mom. My “lame” superpower became quite useful as I began to understand it. Once I finally realized being a  rebel is very overrated, I really was able to connect with people on a level I never could before. 

Where normally people would fight, I would have a simple conversation and talk it out. I’ve been open to feedback for the longest time. I learn best when I am sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher teach. When I took more challenging classes I would record the teacher's lectures and relisten to them to study. I’ve always been an eavesdropper since I was little. I found a way to find out information I’m probably not supposed to know. 

I may not have wanted to accept my superpower initially, but I was truly blessed with one of the best superpowers. My mom and I would sit and talk forever and just listen to each other and I learned so much from just listening. I learned so much about my friends by just listening. I became the person to go to when someone had a problem. I would listen and solve the problem.

If you would’ve asked me when I was five if I agreed with my superpower, I would have said, “no way, I wanna be a princess.” Now I agree with my superpower. I couldn’t choose it. It kind of came with the luck of the draw, but I use my superpower in ways I couldn’t have dreamed of when I was a little five-year-old. My superpower was gifted at birth. Written in between each letter of my name. We all have one, but have I really used it?