The Iron Woman | Teen Ink

The Iron Woman

By Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

I wore a faint smile as my Dad walked me down the aisle. I did not even know who the bridegroom was until this morning and I was thunderstruck to know that it was Frost, the son of my father's business partner. He knew everything about me that he could even direct a documentary about my life. But, I knew nothing about him. He was bizarre, utterly bizarre.

But, he knew about all the trauma I faced in the orphanage. (Because he was there before me and was adopted after me.)

He knew about all the prejudices I faced in my three previous Foster homes before I met Mom and Dad. (Because he knew all those people, after my Dad's business partner adopted him, through their business debts.)

He knew about the discrimination I faced at school. (Because we were in the same school.)

He knew all the sorrows I faced in my workplace. (Because I worked as a manager in his Dad's company.)

He knew that no one wanted to marry me.

He knew that I was 30.

He knew that my Mom had a kidney transplant and needed me to be with her.(His Mom and my Mom are BFFs.)

Despite him knowing me and all about my life, and in spite of me, knowing him, we had NEVER spoken a word to each other up to now. He just smile and I gave back a faint smile because I didn’t want to hurt his or my parents' feelings. 

Why did Frost want to marry me? Was I worthy enough to be his wife? He thought so.

He knew that no matter what, I would never give up on the other kids in the orphanage.

He knew that I left money in the doorsteps of my three previous Foster homes for them to pay their debt. 

He knew that I helped all the average students to be toppers and graduated with flying colours.

He knew that I used to work till late night in order to do work which other employees forgot to do, in order to create no loss for the company.

He knew that I rejected many of my suitors, telling my Dad that I needed someone who knew the story of my life and accepted me for who I am.

He knew that I struggled a lot to get to the thirtieth year of my life.

He knew that I donated a kidney to Mom, because even though we were not blood-related, I was a donor-match.

And he knew that I used to balance my life outside the house and my life inside the house in order to take care of my Mom.

He knew that I did my best to be the perfect daughter for Dad and Mom.

So, he thought that I would do my best to be the perfect wife for him. He knew that an Iron woman like me would do anything for him. He knew that if he loved me atleast a little, I'd love him till the end. He trusted me. So, he asked my Dad whether he'd like to give my hand in marriage for him. Dad agreed. He asked me without mentioning that Frost is the bridegroom, and I agreed. I was nervous. What is next in store for me in my life?

I was like a river and he was like the sea. After the river gets to the sea, there is no river but an ocean. I'll share all my sorrows with him just like how the river shares its water with the sea to form the ocean. And my instinct deep down says that he'll love me and be happy with me and recognise me as the Iron Woman. I don't want him to marry me with sympathy but with empathy. Because I do not want him to regret marrying me. Why? Because I love him. I don't know since when, how or why, but I do love him.

As I walked down the aisle, I saw his face with a smile which meant everything. As the priest recited, I looked at his eyes which led me to an entirely different universe, a universe which Iron Woman like me, had all the love they wanted. His dark hair reminded me of all those dull days which made me the Iron woman I was. His fair face, reminded me of the angels and that made me see my biological parents sight my wedding as angels. And in the nick of time, his mouth began to utter those words, 'To my Iron Lady.' I was his. He was mine.

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

@CaliFranceGurl648, thank you...♡♡♡

CaliFranceGurl648 GOLD, San Diego, California

“I am a California girl, born and raised, so flip-flops and cutoff shorts are my go-to look."

– Meghan Markle

@Afra, this story is beautiful and you are an iron woman, or the woman with the metal pen for writing so well. Nice work, gurl.

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

@IzzyMossie137, thank you...☆☆☆

IzzyMossie137 GOLD, Aurora, Illinois

"Life is a journey I don't have a map for."
-Delta Goodrem-

@Afra, this is beautiful and heart-touching! :)