Some Friendships Just Don't Last | Teen Ink

Some Friendships Just Don't Last

March 13, 2022
By Anonymous

CHAPTER 1

 

Lunchtime was usually the best time for me, but ever since I got to my new high school, I struggled with talking to new people. As the bell rings in my ears and leaves an echo in the halls, all the students rush out of the classrooms. I stuff my hands in my sweater and feel a pencil. As I speedwalk down the stairs, a kid runs and bumps me on my shoulder. I don’t notice my pencil falling out. An overly-enthusiastic girl aggressively taps on my shoulder.

The girl hands me my pencil. “Hi!! I noticed that you dropped your pencil!!” 

“Thanks.” I take the pencil.

It’s good knowing there are some kind people at this school.

While walking to the lunch area, I see intimidating crowds of people.


Most lunch tables were already taken by groups of close friends, but I have to sit somewhere.

I sit down at the last available plastic lunch table. “Hi.”

“Hi!!” The same girl eats her potato chips while waving her hand frantically.

A quiet kid from my math class, playing games on their phone, responds quietly. “Hi..?”

“Umm… can I sit here?” 

“SURE!!”

“I guess.” The kid from math rolls their eyes.

“So… how’s is it going?”

“GREAT!!”

“It’s going ok.”

I don’t understand how ‘happy girl’ and ‘math kid’ are friends when they have completely different personalities, but it doesn’t make me think too hard.

“So… how’d you guys become friends?” 

“...None of your business, weirdo.”

“AVERY!!! That’s not nice! This kid’s new… and stuff.”

I don’t want an argument with people I just met. “Guys–”

“ANYWAYS… what’s your name, kid?” The overly enthusiastic girl yells.

“John. That’s my name.” “What about yours?” I point to ‘happy girl’.

“Jaquelin Padilla, BUT ACTUALLY, it’s Jaquelin Padilla Suarez Guerrero De La Cruz, but nobody calls me that except for my mommy.” Jaquelin kicks an old crushed soda can and looks away from the group. 

“And you’re Avery, right?” 

“...Can you leave me and my friend alone? You’re so annoying, jeez.”

“AVERY CAN YOU NOT!?”

“Wait, guys– I’m sorry, but maybe I can make it up to you two–”

“...Just f*ck off.”

I step back and my eyebrows furrow.

“AVERY! THAT’S NOT NICE!!” Jaquelin covers her mouth with her hands in shock.

“If you want me to leave, then fine. I’ll leave.” I begin to speedwalk away from them. “I don’t mind at all. NOT. ONE. BIT.” 

“John! We’re sorry!!” Jaquelin runs after me but to no avail. “Please come back!”

Is this what friendship is like…? 

 

 

CHAPTER 2


I lay in my creaky but comfy bed, and scroll through my phone, looking at posts of Jaqueline and Avery. “Wait, Avery_0528 is hosting a live stream right now?”

“Hey, guys!! It’s Avery here!” Avery waves their hands excitedly.

That’s… That’s not at all like Avery.

“Yeah, so like, I’ve got some super crazy stories to tell you guys.”

I begin to type in the chat but stop after Avery says something that stops me in my tracks.

“So basically there was this guy who came up to us; his name was something like Jordan or something?”

It’s John. Get it right. 

“So, get this. He just waddled up to our table, and he made fun of me and my ‘friend’, like, for what…? get a life.”

“Avery is the worst ‘friend’ anyone could ask for.” I type rapidly.

“Hah! That’s not true! I’m the best friend that could ever exist; I’m so nice!!”

Vile. That’s what they are, A Witch.

“CAN YOU please get a life? You’re the worst. 😡” I include an angry emoji in the text message.

“Can you not? You’re ruining the vibe.”

“You were blatantly rude to me during lunch today. You’re not slick. 😐”

“JUST SHUT UP!!!”

I type frantically. “YOU WERE THE ONE WHO TOLD ME TO F*CK OFF. 🥱”

“Ok! You’re getting kicked out of the live stream!” Avery says passive-aggressively while waving their hands frantically.

You were kicked out of Avery_0528’s live stream.

I can’t believe her toxic attitude.

 


CHAPTER 3


My walking becomes stiff as I enter my math teacher; Mr. Cisneros’ class. Don’t get me wrong, I like his class, but it’s not my teacher that’s the problem, it’s the students. 

“Oh. It’s you.” Avery rolls their eyes.

I see Avery giving me the middle finger, and I have a loss for words.

“Hey.” Avery says. “Get outta here.”

“Um… I’m in this class, though.”

“Oh, so now you’re the liar.” Avery cackled.

Mr. Cisneros has his earbuds plugged in, tapping his toe to the beat of his music; oblivious to me and Avery arguing.

“Just shut up Avery. Zip it.” I blurted.

Avery presses their hand on their hip. “Guys, look! It’s Mr. Confident over here!” Avery’s eyes widen and they press their lips together to make a puppy face.

I scoff.

The bell rings and makes me flinch a little.

“Alrighty, mathematicians, get into your seats!” Mr. Cisneros’ loud voice and enthusiastic tone make me clench my teeth in anger because he was so oblivious to me and Avery arguing.

 

Mr. Cisneros fixes his hair. “John. Can you please pass out the next assignment?” He says.

“Um… ok.” I hop out of my seat.

As I walk towards the basket filled with math papers, Avery quickly pulls their leg out.

I stumble and fall, but I pretend like nothing happened to prevent a huge commotion.

Thanks a lot, Avery.


***

 

 

 

CHAPTER 4


After that period, I reported Avery’s actions to the principal. They’ve been doing these things since elementary. They’ve been suspended around five times; in one semester. I don’t know how I didn’t notice those signs a long time ago. 

I see Avery walking to the principal’s office. 

F*ck. You.” Avery gives me the middle finger.

I wave at them passive-aggressively.

“Bye Avery!”


Jaquelin walks in.

“Oh, you heard the news about Avery too?” Jaquelin says.

“Yeah.” I crack a small smile. “I’m kind of glad they’re gone.”

“Same, I never really liked them.” Jaquelin sits next to me.

“Hey, can I tell you something…?” Jaquelin picks under her nails. “I’ve kinda been wanting to tell you this ever since we met.”

The environment becomes silent.

“Uh… sure. What’s up?” I tilt my head, waiting for her to tell me.

“I really like you,” Jaquelin says. “Like, a lot.”

“Woah! Um, I don’t think I’m ready for–”

Jaqueline scanned my body’s reaction. “No! Not like that!” “Sorry, I need to word things better.”

“Heh, it’s fine.” I turn red as if I turned into a tomato.

“What I meant was that you just seemed like another shy and quiet new kid, but I realized that you’re more than that.” Jaquelin takes some time to think. “You can stand up for yourself; you can do things that a shy and vulnerable new kid wouldn’t do,” Jaqueline looks down at her shoes. “I like that in someone.”

“O-oh, thanks,” I stutter. “You know, now that I think about it… I kinda like you too.”