Teaching English | Teen Ink

Teaching English

November 7, 2022
By Anonymous

 The thunderous marching of countless students fills the quiet town with clamor and shrieks as the sun rushes to rise. In a tiny plane, traveling across the vast, deep ocean like a star in the vastness of the universe. Dreariness and fatigue dominate my mind after a grueling twenty-hour voyage across the seemingly endless Earth. Days of relaxation and tranquility seem to vanish in the blink of an eye as I am now sat in front of 25 students, eager to learn. Their cheerful attitudes towards class inevitably wash away my sense of weariness as each day passes like time on a clock. As the days fly by, the sound of comprehension, satisfaction, and glee fill the classrooms as I began to become more accustomed to teaching basic English.

       As the days pass, the once cheery classrooms begin to fill with drear and gloom as we realize today is our last day together. Break time after lunch still had its usual clamor and tumult, but beneath it like flesh under skin, lay a silent somber tone of imminent separation. At the end of the day, as Children were usually leaving, my family and I were surprised by gifts nearly from each and every student. The classroom began to fill back with joy as if it was restored with color and emotion, while we exchanged gifts, jokes, and good times. 

       However, the students weren’t the only things to learn something that week. Before, I was a weak and timid boy, but after a week of irreplaceable experiences, my public speaking and social skills began to take off like a hatchling leaving its mother’s nest. 


The author's comments:

I am a WHS student, class of 2025.