Past Daydreams | Teen Ink

Past Daydreams

By Ashlee-Monroe SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan
Ashlee-Monroe SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"You may not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can't edit a blank page" -Jody Picoult

The girl awoke, her head throbbing. She had no clue where she was, who she was. Why did her head hurt? Where was she? Her vision blurred as she heard doctors whispering frantically to each other. She caught snippets of what they were whispering about, amnesia. Is that why she couldn’t remember anything? One of the doctors, who had black hair and very crystal blue eyes, looked her way and smiled at her. “Oh, look, the girl is awake” The doctor brought a chair up next to her bed and sat next to her. “Your name is Emma LaRuem, did you at least remember that?” Emma shook her head, “I didn’t think you did, but it's good to check” 

“Why am I here?” Emma sat up and stared at the doctor, eyes filled with tears and questions.

“You got… how do I put this… you got into a very bad car accident, we thought you were going to die, your head probably hurts, yes?” The doctor tapped the spot where her head hurt the most, making the room swim.

“Yes, my head hurts, and if I was in a terrible accident, why isn’t my family here? Where are they?” Emma questioned.

“Your family died 2 years ago, you were 18 and in college. They died from a sickness known as SARS-CoV-2, or Covid-19, I’m very sorry for your loss” 

Emma’s family was dead, but then it all came back to her. Emma was driving back from her work at the lab, she worked to find a cure for Covid-19, she was so tired, it was 3 am and her shift had ended 5 hours ago, but she decided that she would do some extra research on the disease, so she ended up figuring out that there were different kinds of Covid-19 and that they basically evolved to what they put out there for a cure, but that they get weaker each time they evolve, but become more contagious. Anyways, she was driving back to work, probably daydreaming about her family dinners they used to have, when a drunk driver hit her head on. Something hit her in the head, and she blacked out. 

“I remember everything” Emma looked up at the doctor, her eyes looking distant “You’re my childhood friend from high school, right Amy-Ellen?”

“I thought you would recognise me when you got your memory back” Amy-Ellen said with a smile. “After all, even amnesia can’t keep away daydreams of your old life, I know you miss your family Emma, but you have to let go of those memories and daydreams about them, they almost got you killed!”

“I know Amy-Ellen, but” Emma’s bottom lip trembled when she began to spill tears “ I just miss them so much!” Amy-Ellen hugged her, and gave her the most useful piece of advice since her mom taught her how to cook Kraft Mac-and-Cheese.

“You have to let go of past daydreams, and dream about the future instead”

This piece was inspired by my creative writing teams prompt, daydream, hence why I used it a bit in this piece. I also just really wanted to write about amnesia with the prompt daydream for some reason.