Nostalgic Objects | Teen Ink

Nostalgic Objects

January 14, 2023
By Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey
Extrasweet DIAMOND, Tenafly, New Jersey
94 articles 24 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever" - Walt Disney


I step into my attic and a box labeled, “Carla 5~10 years” catches my eye…


I’m taken back in time, to my childhood home. I see a raggedy doll that I used to have, lying on the floor. It has red stringy hair, wears a red apron and a white dress. I remember when I used to fight over that doll to play. The scent of it reminds me of the cozy mushroom soup that filled my home every friday. The thought of it takes me to the rusty bowls on the counter, waiting for someone to use them. They used to be decorated with vibrant colors but it’s all faded now, dust piling on top of them. The colors used to be beautiful like the flowers that used to be in my backyard. They’re stunning and the flowers blooming reminds me of the flower phone case that I used to have. It was my first phone and I got it for one of my birthdays. I was so excited when I first received it and the flower patterned phone case was the first phone case that I’ve ever received. I always made sure that I didn’t lose my phone by putting it in a sparkly pouch that was easy to spot. The pouch was decorated with sparkles and glitter. The yellow was bright and it was the shape of my favorite movie back then. Minions.The cute little minions were my favorite movie to see and every weekend, I would see it. I’ve seen Minions more than I could count on my couch. The couch had a checkered pattern and the plush was soft so I would be able to fall asleep there while watching movies. The sofa fills me with warmth as I drift off to sleep.


When I wake up, I’m back in the corner of my attic, the contents of the box splayed on the floor.


The author's comments:

Do you have an old box in the attic from your childhood that you've never opened recently?