Usain Bolt - 2012 Olympics - Journal Entry | Teen Ink

Usain Bolt - 2012 Olympics - Journal Entry

May 31, 2023
By NickAquillon BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire
NickAquillon BRONZE, East Kingston, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sun, Aug 12, 2012 - London Olympics


Today, I got first in both of my events I was competing in for the London Olympics in 2012, coming close to my world-records, but not beating my previous times. For the second time, I have won the 100m dash and 200m dash race at the 2012 London Olympics. For my 100m world record, I got 9.63 seconds, which makes it the second best 100 meter dash in the world, not beating my previous time of 9.58 seconds in 2009 at the IAAF World Championships. And for my 200 meter dash, I got 20.39 seconds, which again, was a top 3 world record, but did not beat my best time at the IAAF World Championships of 19.19 seconds.
Those were all of the events that I did by myself. I also did the 4x100 meter relay with Yohan Blake, Nesta Carter and Michael Frater. Our team took the gold medal for the 4x100 premier relay, we got 36.84 seconds, beating the old world record by .2 seconds. The previous record of 37.04 seconds was set by Jamaica also, which is great for our country, and it shows the world how great we are as sprinters. The world record of 37.04 seconds for the 4x100 relay was at Daegu, South Korea just last year in 2011. During the race, Blake and myself did most of the heavy lifting for the race since Powell was injured and his career was coming to an end. Nesta Carter and Micheal Frater are 2 new up and coming sprinters for Jamaica, and we had to do most of the hard work to beat the previous world record we set.
Since our country of Jamaica is a fan favorite, we had lots of support during all of our races. I was worried one time, and that was when one of the new sprinters for the 4x100 relay was handing off the baton to me, since he is fairly new and upcoming, I thought that he might get nervous and mess up on our handoffs, but he did great and we won. When I was running the 100 meter and the 200 meter, thousands of people were cheering for my country Jamaica and for me to win, which I did for both races. Today was another great day for my track and field sprints, as I came home with 3 golden metals. 
As I was coming home, I went to dinner with my mom, and we celebrated the overall victory for Jamaica and for my 3 races. It was a great night, we went to a restaurant named Figo Stratford. It was near the stadium so it was convenient for us to go there. I got pasta, with their homemade-sauce, and mom got risotto. While we were there I got recognized by some fans, and I signed some of their autographs. Once mom and I finished our food, we headed back to the hotel to get ready for our flight back to Jamaica.
-Bolt