blink | Teen Ink

blink

Whooo

Fog immediately formed in front of 7-year-old Alexander Blanche as he blew into the cold evening air, holding on tightly to his grandparents while peering over the ledge from the top of Paris’s wrought-iron tower that was well-known throughout the world. 

His parents’ frequent business trips, the lack of siblings to argue with, and the absence of pets to keep him company meant Alex had a lot of time to himself, and he quickly developed a reserved personality. After all, there are just some things that can only be confided to parents at that age. And if not them, who else? But he grew used to it. With the plentiful time he had to himself, he contemplated to his heart's content. He had picture books of the wonders of the world and other revered places, the primary subject of his dreams and ambitions. On the rare occasion that he left the state, or country even, it was with his grandparents. 

I’m gonna see the world, he thought, while reading about the tranquil waterfalls during the snow season at Plitvice National Park through starry eyes.

This vow wouldn’t change with time.

But for the moment, Alex prayed that his feet would be on the ground soon. His eyes tightly shut, an iron grip on his grandparents’ hands, he prayed to whatever deity placed him there. 

Blink.

Hazel eyes opened and met the clear sky, only blemished by the setting, blazing ball of fire. He stood among the clouds, not a man-made thing in sight in any direction around him, even past the horizons. The sight from Mont Blanc was truly a sight to behold, and after 3 days, Alex finally made it to the top of the birthplace of mountaineering. The change in altitude took the mountaineers’ minds off of the now-finished finals from the weeks before. He and a couple of friends of his had gone out to dinner, partied, and had gotten drunk - living the best time of their lives of youth. Their headaches the day after did nothing to stagnate their mood throughout the days that followed. 

It was a spontaneous trip. One of Alex’s close friends, Rishab, had brought about the idea of trekking up a mountain seemingly from thin air. It was such a ludicrous idea, having a group of inexperienced graduates go up a mountain for the first time. In fact, it was so ridiculous that everyone was immediately on board with the proposal. They contacted an agent, booked their flights, and now here they were, on top of the world. 

“They sure are still jittery,” noted Alex, seeing the group’s fidgetiness from the unholy amount of caffeine they downed earlier, noticing the contrast to their shaking due to the cold the previous day. He also took notice of Annabeth, who was the only one looking in another direction from the rest. Her eyes gazed up while the others were in line with the sun setting through the horizon, momentarily forgetting the cold.

“Whatcha looking at?” he inquired.

“The stars. I’ve never seen them this clearly before.” She slid a strand of hair behind her ear, as her round glasses reflected the minute dots of light scattered across the endless abyss. 

Alex couldn’t help but follow her line of vision and thought. He had to admit, Rishab had chosen the perfect time to arrive at the tip when the sun was just setting. He didn’t know how long he was staring, only that that was the moment of the trip he still remembered vividly looking back.

He closed his eyes and shook his head gently to remove his head from a slightly dazed stupor.

Blink.

Alex opened his eyes to the sight of Gyeongbokgung Palace, having woken up from a short nap on the bus while visiting the self-proclaimed Blessing Scenery Palace. They stepped out, he and his newly-wed, to under the shades gratefully provided by the clouds to get out of the searing sunlight. 

The two had various experiences from different parts of Europe, their favorites being waking up in a white building of Santorini, strolling alongside the countless waterfalls of Yosemite, skiing at the Jungfrau region, and so much more. Wanting to try something new, the couple decided to dip into Asian culture. The vibrant hanbok-clad performers danced to the rhythmic drum beats in the courtyard. The fragrant scent of the meticulously arranged flowers mixed with the aged wood of the trees captivated the two, taking in the tranquil atmosphere, a sharp contrast from the bustling scene of the European cities. 

Time passed too quickly, thought Alex, as he got in bed with his wife. As he draped his arm over her, he entered the land of Morpheus in a matter of seconds.

Blink.

Bora Bora was wonderful.

With all the places Alex and his wife had traveled with all the free time their jobs gave them, they had always been active, whether it be hiking a trail, climbing a mountain, or kayaking the length of a river.

The change was nice, basking in the sun.

Blink.

He held his wife’s hand in his right hand and a cup of tea in his left, living through his retirement with no particular thoughts on his mind. The sun had already set, and the stars were barely visible as if covered by an opaque lens.  

Blink.

“Liv,” Alex muttered under his breath.

Pure and unadulterated happiness was what he felt as he held his great-granddaughter in his arms. The girl of his second grandchild had been brought into the world during his own birthday. After rocking her in his arms, after blowing on her nose to elicit a cute reaction, as he listened to her beating heart, he gently set her down in her crib, lightly kissed her forehead, and went back downstairs to congratulate the parents.

Blink.

Blink.

Blink.

Blink.

Blink.

Anyone would say that the adventures of Alexander Blanche would be enough to make memories of multiple lifetimes. A single one of his exploits would be enough to make a man forged through monotonous life green with envy; he had seen all the world had to offer.

Then why? questioned Alex.

My mind is a tapestry of memories, yet - why does it feel like I’ve missed something?

The question gently gnawed at him, as he stared at the ceiling, eyes drooping of tiredness. His long and healthy life - 94 years in fact - led him to the room of his deathbed, with just himself. His relatives had come and gone some hours before, he didn’t remember. It was only a matter of time before he would pass on to “life’s next great adventure.”

And he would without feeling the completeness, the fulfillingness, the satisfaction he should have felt at the end of his life.

Alex took one last look out into the cloud-covered sky, where the stars were once visible. 

Could I have done more? he asked himself as he took his last breath - finally shutting his eyes - in the mortal world.

fin

I wrote this short story for school, but I wanted to experiment with it. "blink" is what resulted, and what I aimed to be the main takeaway was that tension can exist between living fully in the moment and grappling with a sense of unfulfillment when reflecting on one's life as a whole, which demonstrates the complexity of the potential conflicts between short-term fulfillment and long-term satisfaction.