Why Do I Feel So Dizzy? | Teen Ink

Why Do I Feel So Dizzy?

June 6, 2009
By swimmergirl GOLD, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
swimmergirl GOLD, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
16 articles 1 photo 14 comments

I left the Safety checkpoint just before noon. As I left the checkpoint, I was so far ahead that the only way that my competitors could catch me is if a terrible disaster occurred. As I entered a snowy archway of trees I swore I could hear the crowds in Nome. I began yelling with imposing force mush mush. As my team gained speed we slowly crept toward a solid victory. I crossed a small frozen over stream and noticed that it was exceptionally deep and than quickly noticed the danger it posed for other teams. The stream was starting to crack and it was much wider then I had originally thought. I quickly gave the command to stop and my dogs immediately obeyed. I went back with a stake and spray paint and placed the stake in front of the water and wrote DANGER on the trees surrounding the opening. I quickly got back on my sled and yelled, “Mush Hike Alright Let’s Go!” We began to accelerate and I could hear ferocious cheering ahead and the siren that announced that I had been spotted. My sled flew out of the woods with such force that it made me dizzy. I had only two miles until I crossed under the archway that would make me victorious. I suddenly felt the onslaught of extreme dizziness so I grip my sled tighter. I saw the crowds and heard the cheers when suddenly every thing went black. I felt the wind on my face and I heard gasps, screaming, and more sirens. I felt as if I were being whipped around on a speeding rollercoaster quickly approaching loops and hills on the track. Then blackness again. When I could once again hear and feel. I realized that I was lying down, I thought in horror that I had fallen off my sled but if I was on the ground it should be cold and it was warm. Then I felt pressure on my leg and then came a wave of searing pain. Then I felt something pierce the skin on my wrist and then pain that was so bad I had to be yelling a blood curdling cry but there was nothing. There was just silence no sound had come my mouth as I moaned in pain. I wondered what on earth could be happening to me, and the there was a bright light shinning on face it was the first time in some period of time, which was unknown to me, that I saw anything but blackness. I then saw the shadows of figures moving about around me and above me. Finally my full sight was back but the people around didn’t seem to notice so I just closed my eyes. Then the pressure was back on my leg and I let out another soundless scream, but then I realized that it was not soundless but blood curdling and loud. I opened my eyes and said, “Where am I?” I heard gasps of joy and then someone told me that I was in the hospital and that I had been in a coma for ten days. Then came my expected inquiry of “What happened?’’ Then the story began. When my team had bolted out of the woods the impact had given me a head injury and that I went into a coma. I was also told that my leg had been caught under the sled and was severely broken. I nodded and then worriedly blurted out, “My team the race! Who won?” Several people who I presumed were nurses smiled and said, “You did!” I uncertainly replied, “How?” They happily replied, “You kept a grip on the sled and never actually fell off and your dogs just kept on going.” I then remembered how I had felt dizzy coming out of the woods and had gripped the sled tightly and looped my hands through some rope. I then smartly said, “Coming out of the woods I had felt extremely dizzy and got a better grip” they replied with gasped of astonishment, “If you hadn’t done that you would probably be dead!” I stayed in the hospital for three months getting surgeries and recovering. When I finally was allowed home my last question was, “I can run the Iditarod this year right?” everyone there laughed and the doctor replied, “Yes it will be possible but I think you have lost your mind.”

The author's comments:
This is a sensory paragraph I wrote when my class was studying and following the Iditarod.