The Sweetest Sight | Teen Ink

The Sweetest Sight

August 9, 2009
By Kristyn Norder BRONZE, Verona, Virginia
Kristyn Norder BRONZE, Verona, Virginia
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The silent, savored wind heaved the flowers into consciousness. They jabbed and stretched for the girl’s pale ankles as though they only lived to feel the warmth of her skin. The impulsive girl skipped through the puny flowers with no continuous speed. Her bare feet moved slowly; then feeling her body grow weightless, turned into a dash. She jolted forward into an uninhibited spin as her fragile arms escaped flinging open and cutting into the wind. The seductive smell of the flowers invaded her nostrils bringing a new light to her soft face. Her long, sandy hair was being propelled and hurled in all directions, but did not dare hide the girl’s irresistible face. Her skirt burned with the colors of the rainbow and her vivid yellow top was sneering at the suns duller shade. She moved with the pasty flowers feeling the wind shove then yank like an unsatisfied child finding joy in being complex.
The wind paused. The girl’s feet stomped into a firm position in the middle of the healthy field and suddenly everything was still. Her hair fell to her sides lifelessly and the emerald grass peacefully dozed off. The arresting view of the emotive flowers went from wild to serene in seconds. Her breath was hasty and bitter against her throat. She closed her pale, round eyes, and the world went dark. She was gone, escaped from the chaos and heartache. Her seemingly content life made her stomach scream. The lies, constantly revolving in her hectic mind came so easily that sometimes they felt real. In the stillness, she felt awkward, like all the thoughts ramming the inside of her head could be heard for miles. The thought of such horror made her hairs spring up from her skin. She squeezed her reddened eyes tighter, feeling the memories burning as they arrived like bugs, heartlessly crawling through her feelings.
Then she was hooked, the ghastly images and piercing screams fled from her like a movie. Her mom, painted red, was pleading under the smoldering car and her father’s eyes were tied open and lifeless. The blistering fire, spinning around the car, chuckled at her. Her body rattled with fear and her eyes dripped of pain. She timidly snuck closer to the heat as her mother’s eyes grew hopeful.
It was the last thing she remembered of her mother. With a hiss of the fire, the girl’s eyes flickered and a noxious explosion of the car stole her parents. The sound of her mother’s cutting shrieks skimmed from her mind and merged with the whistling wind that had picked back up around the girl’s timid body. She opened her miserable eyes only to see the same darkness. Her blind, white eyes hovered over the flowers only seeing them in her memory.