Chance of Survival | Teen Ink

Chance of Survival

August 27, 2009
By AsToldByRachel SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
AsToldByRachel SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
6 articles 9 photos 9 comments

A plane flew over the vast wilderness of the Congo. Aboard this plane were three lifelong friends: Lily, Charlotte, and Janet. They had been friends for years. Growing up just houses away from one another they had played and went to school together. Now, almost twenty years later, they were voyaging to Africa for one last adventure together. How were they to know this was going to be the most grueling event of their lives’?
In their private plane Charlotte, Lily, and Janet were protected from the searing heat of the sun they knew must be backing the jungle. Encased in their private little plane they had cool clean air, protection from the troublesome mosquitoes, and air conditioning. Charlotte sighed. This was how life should be- a perfect bubble where nothing could ever go wrong and no one would ever bother her and her best friends. Janet, being more realistic, was wondering what they would encounter when they reached their destination, a remote village in Uganda. Lily was the only one unconcerned by their trip across the world. She slept soundly on this lovely afternoon, only stirring when the plane was buffered by the wind.
Suddenly, the fragile sheet of peace was shattered by a loud roar, followed by a sputter of the engine, and then, silence, Lily woke with a start. Charlotte and Janet exchanged worried looks. That as all they had time for before the plane stated a nosedive straight into the dense vegetation of the Congo. “Brace yourselves ladies,” the pilot yelled, and they did, The plane impacted the ground with a deafening roar and screech.
Janet slowly opened one eye, and then the other. Fearing what she might see. The plane had impaled a tree, which cracked, and crashed in a small clearing. There was no one else there… or at least, not alive. Janet shakily trudged to the cockpit. Yes, the swarthy pilot was dead. She feared the same thing of her friends. Then a small noise came from a pile of mangled metal. Carefully, Janet lifted the plane’s propeller and was relieved to see Charlotte’s cherished, tear-streaked face staring up at her. “I think my leg might be broken,” said Charlotte, grimacing.
“Ok, we’ll get you out and have a look at it” Janet said, concerned. With some effort they managed to free Charlotte from the wreckage, standing side by side with Janet supporting some of Charlotte’s weight, they looked around the plane. Both women started to weep for their friend Lily, who they thought, had undoubtedly not survived the crash.
Janet, still level-headed even in the worst situation, regained control of herself, “Alright,” she said, “how are we going to get out of here?” Wiping her tears Charlotte replied “I don’t know. Almost no one comes to this part of the jungle. If only Lily were here, she would know what to do.”
“Well, how about we start with building a fire?” called a familiar voice from behind them. Charlotte and Janet spun around. There was Lily, walking somewhat lopsidedly out of the jungle surrounding the clearing. The three women ran to one another and embraced. Now, they had a chance of survival.