Doubting Thomas | Teen Ink

Doubting Thomas

September 17, 2009
By booklover618 GOLD, Harlingen, Texas
booklover618 GOLD, Harlingen, Texas
10 articles 0 photos 6 comments

The cold raindrops fell silently upon the brick house. All was dark within the windows and the street was in a deep sleep.
Thomas sat on his bed, looking out at the quiet night. His mind was too full of thoughts for him to sleep. He was thinking of his future, his past, his present. Wondering how it all seemed so perfect. He had a perfect house, a perfect family, a perfect job, but something very vital was missing.
Beside him, his wife lay sleeping, her face peacful in the night. Down the hall, his two boys slept soundly, dreaming. Yet Thomas could find no peace. His heart was yearing for what his wife and children had, but at the same time he did not want to have it.
Quietly he rose from his bed and made his way out onto the porch. His eyes searched the wet sky, hoping to find something to relieve his restless soul. After a time, however, he gave up and went back into the living room. He walked over to the bookcase and ran his hand over the bookspines and stopped at one that he had avoided for years.
With hesitation, Thomas picked up the book. It felt foreign in his hands. He took the book over to the chair, turned on the lamp, and slowly, he opened the book. He bowed his head and began to read. His spirit reached out for the words, filling the emptiness that had cursed him for so many years.
He read through the night and into the early morning. He heard his family stirring awake and laid the book gently on the end table. He went into his boy's room and hugged them, then into his own room where his wife was sitting up in bed. He went to her and kissed her, holding her tightly with tears in his eyes; quietly saying sorry for all the pain he had put her through over the years.
Thomas went back to the living-room, picked up the book, and carried it back to his bedroom. His wife's eyse showed suprise and joy as she saw the book. Thomas sat down upon the bed and, for the first time in their married life, the couple prayed together. Thomas placed his Bible beside his bed and wept for his new found belief with his wife.