Elevator | Teen Ink

Elevator

By tnmebd1 SILVER, E. Setauket, New York
tnmebd1 SILVER, E. Setauket, New York

Ugh the elevator stopped on a random floor. I was not a patient woman and I just wanted to get to the first level, was that so hard?

I studiously ignored the person walking in. I was too annoyed at them to make eye contact so I just stood there and clutched my manila folder to my chest.

“Hey there.” The voice sounded mildly familiar so I glanced over.

“Oh no, not you.” It was that guy from the bar last night who wouldn’t leave me alone.

“Hey now, that’s no way to treat an old friend.” His voice was playfully scolding. I kept my face hard and backed as far away from him as I could.

“I would hardly call you an old friend.” I kept my voice as hard as my face. This guy was really irritating me.

“Whatever suits you,” he took a step closer to me. “So we decided to dress a little more conservatively today, didn’t we?”

I was not that conservative. I was wearing a knee length pencil skirt and a white blouse with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows. But, then again, he had seen me in my mini skirt and tank top.

“I’m working today,” I snapped at him. Just then the elevator gave a little shudder.

“Whoa,” he looked pleased. “Don’t get scared now.” He smiled at me in a mocking way. “Do you want me to hold your hand?”

“Ugh, get away from me.” I pushed him away and got ready to get off. We were on floor two now.

“Easy there–” he was cut off by another shudder and then . . . the lights went out.

“Rob, what did you do? Is this your idea of a practical joke?” I demanded hoping that was his name.

“Cool down. It wasn’t me.” He paused for effect. “I think the elevator got stuck.”

Oh great, just what I needed.