little girl | Teen Ink

little girl

By Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana
Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth
--------
The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

I watched from the park bench a little girl with her mother. The mother, dressed for a business meeting, was distracted by her Bluetooth in her ear and her Blackberry in her hand. I remember the girl all too well. She wore a plain, short, blue dress with long sleeves. Her legs were covered with white tights and on her feet were shiny black shoes, held on her feet by only one strap on each shoe. Her hair fell over her shoulders, long, curly, and dirty blond. Her cheeks were chubby and rosy red and her tiny hands would cover them every time she laughed. She laughed at everything, from a small dog running past her to a bee landing on a nearby flower. I’ll never forget those bright, happy, huge eyes; they squinted when she giggled at something.

While her mother yapped into her ear piece and texted on her phone, the little girl spotted a blue butterfly fluttering in the air, slightly above her. She began to chase after it and I smiled as she struggled to run with her short legs. She was giggling with her arms stretched out, ready to seize the bug. I was so mesmerized by her enjoyment that I didn’t notice where she was going. I blinked and studied the area. She was heading toward the street, busy with cars trying to hurry home from a long day at work and school. I stood up and called to her, “Little girl! Stop!” but she didn’t hear me. The mother didn’t hear my frantic shouts, so I started to run after the girl. I pushed myself to get there in time, my legs already starting to hurt. The girl’s curls bounces as she stepped into the street. I screamed, but again, I was unnoticed.
Finally I had caught up with her and my fingers brushed against her back. Just as I stretched out my arm to swoop her up, a red minivan, going 50 mph, hit her. The force bent back my arm and pushed the child onto me and we both fell backwards into the side of the street. We laid there, my unharmed arm around her, and I was crying. I felt her warmth and her chest moving up and down with every breath. After a minute, she was still. Her breathing stopped and her body felt colder with every second. I ran my hand over her chest, trying to feel her heart pounding. I didn’t and in a few seconds I heard the mother screaming and the driver of the minivan yelling at us, trying to get us to react. I closed my eyes and continued crying, tears racing down my face. I heard sirens and felt someone lift the girl out of my arm. I cried out, but she was gone. After a few more moments, I was lifted onto a gurney and wheeled into a small space. All I heard was sirens and screaming. All I hear now is giggles and screaming.

Nothing really inspired me. I just started tearing out my stupid stories in my journal and wrote this one.

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

Thanks. I didn't want her too die either. In my head she was a cutie, but the point of the story was people being distracted and that can kill.

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
this is very good, but i wish she hadn't died.... :'(

I really liked it, though!!! two thumbs up :D

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

thanks so much(:

TheOnlyWritician GOLD, Clermont, Florida

We loved with a love that was more than love. -Edgar Allen Poe

so sad and yet so realistic. I don't think most of the parents even watch their kids now days. Besides my rants...you did amazing!

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

I'm actually writing a long story. I've posted chapter 1 and 2, but it hasn't been published yet. I'm working on chapter 3 right now.

Nikiblue PLATINUM, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

"Stupid Is As Stupid Does." -Forest Gump (;
"No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude."

Alright, if its just a rough draft, I'll be sure to read the final piece. I'll check up on your work when you come out with more (:

Tori.Lovett GOLD, Alexandria, Louisiana

--------

Thanks. It's just a rough draft.

I totally agree. I see this at the park and other public places all the time (minus the kids getting hit.)

That's so sad... It's really a shame that thats how our society is starting to become, somtimes so wrapped up with work/electronics/etc. to really pay attention to anyone else, including their own children. Very well written, although it could have been broken up in more paragraphs needing a few more commas here and there, but other than that it was really good. Keep it up (: