Needles | Teen Ink

Needles

March 2, 2010
By PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio
PuzzleLuver SILVER, Powell, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but have eternal life" John 3:16


All I remember was feeling sick and dropping to the ground to rest, the next minute I was strapped to a gurney being rushed into an operating room in the ER. My head throbbed my body trembled and I was feeling dizzy. Like usual, I stiffened my lip and didn’t cry at the immense pain I felt. I wasn’t going to let my guard, which I have built up over the years, down and show weakness even if I could not move my limbs.

I did hear crying though. I could hear my mother bawling in the other room. I knew it wasn’t about me, it was probably about the bill she would pay, she doesn’t care about me.

I wanted to scream at the injustice of it all. I didn’t ask for this. I wanted to scream for the doctors to untie me. I wanted to scream at myself for letting myself be so vulnerable. I wanted to scream out loud to leave me alone and let me die to get some peace. But, when I opened my mouth all that came out was “Water” in a screechy voice not my own.

“She’s awake,” the nurse told the doctor. The doctor mumbled something incomprehensible back, but by the look of his face he didn’t seem happy at my awakening.

“Yes, Sir,” the nurse replied. She turned to me. “Honey, just close your eyes, the pain will go away soon,” she said.

She lied. The pain only worsened. It felt like needles poking me constantly. I felt woozy and light-headed. I could not control my body’s shaking. Nothing was right. I opened my eyes again.

This time a shady looking man with a mask over his nose and mouth stared at me with soulless eyes.

I screamed.

His gloved hand clamped down on my open mouth. It was cold and waxy with a disinfectant taste.

I tried to move my hands to push him off of me, but they laid there as if glued to the gurney.

Soon he slowly lifted his hand away. I screamed again. His hand came right back down.

“Shut up,” he whispered sternly.

I glared at him, showing no sign of weakness.

I’m the doctor,” he tried.

I glared at him some more.

“I’ll bring your mom in here if you want me to,” he spoke.

I shook him off.

“No,” I wheezed,” I’d rather you take me away.

A gleam came into his eye. A deep chuckle came out.

“I didn’t really; I mean I was just...” I was at a loss of words.

“No worries. I am your doctor,” he smiled.

“In that case,” I got my voice back,” will you get these needles out of me?”

“What needles?” he questioned.

“The needles I feel jabbed in my side,” I told him.

“There are no needles there,” he answered,” But, tell me how you feel.”

“I obviously feel sick,” I said,” I also feel like I’m trapped and need to puke.”

He handed me a bucket. I took it.

“No one ever got me that water I asked for,” I commented.

He handed me a glass.

“I want an iPod,” I stared hopefully.

He looked at me sternly, but with a hint of laughter in his eyes. At no movement I went on.

“And I want to know what I’m doing here,” I looked expectantly.


“You and me both,” he muttered.

“What, you don’t know?” I asked. If my doctor didn’t know then why was I here?

“Oh, I know why you fainted,” he tried to reassure me.

“So,” I stared.

“You were dehydrated,” he said.

“That’s it? Then why am I stuck here?” I was exasperated.

“Because,” he looked away,” I thought I felt something wrong when I checked you out.”

“You thought, well how can you tell it’s not like you could dissect me there.” I shuttered trying to take it all in.

“I know, you have nothing to worry about,” he replied.

“You idiot,” I screamed,” Wait you took me here so you could dissect me, didn’t you. I’m getting out of here.” I fumbled around trying to get myself free.

“No,” he said,” I wanted others’ opinions, don’t worry.” He rested his hands on mine.

Don’t worry. Was that all he could say. Well, I have a newsflash for him I’m past worry and now at panic. I flailed my arms around trying to get free. He untied me.

I jumped off the gurney with enormous power, more than I thought I had. After taking 2 steps I knew I was right. My knees buckled and I came crashing down. A huge gasp came on all sides of me. At that moment I realized Dr. Creeper and I weren’t alone.

Nothing to see here,” I tell my unwelcomed audience as I get up.

“Hayden, wait,” my doctor called to me.

“Nope,” I said and I was out the door.