Letter from a Crazy Lady | Teen Ink

Letter from a Crazy Lady

February 19, 2010
By Hailey Grider BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
Hailey Grider BRONZE, Decatur, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Dear John,

I would like to start off by saying you are completely wrong about my sickness. There is something wrong with me and you need to realize that. Many reasons could be why I am going crazy, but most of it is you. Bringing me here was a huge mistake. Being locked up in this room is making me go nuts! I tried to seem okay with it, but it is really not okay at all! The wallpaper is so ugly and it just stares at me all day. I watch a lady creeping around the wallpaper trying to escape for hours and hours each day. It’s killing me. Also, it used to be a nursery which makes things that much worse! It reminds me of my poor child that you won’t even let me be around. Who wouldn’t go crazy in this environment? Another reason I am probably going crazy is because you always treat me like a child! I feel so inferior and like my life don’t matter at all. That does not help with my sickness at all.

There are a few things that I think would make me a lot better. A new and better doctor would make so much difference. The one I have now agrees completely with you and that’s the problem. A new one might actually give me some medication so I don’t have to go through all this with no help at all. I also think that writing more will make me feel better. It gives me a way to express my feelings and it is what I love to do. The biggest thing that I think would be best for me is to just live my life. I want to fulfill all the dreams I have ever had. For example, I have always wanted to go skydiving and bungee jumping. Another thing I really want to do is ride in a really fast race car.

These things will be best for me because I will be doing what I enjoy and love to do. I will actually be getting out there and having fun instead of sitting here looking at stupid, yellow wallpaper! Ill have things to take my mind off of all the stresses in my life and give me a chance to just let go. The medication would be helping me keep myself under control.

You don’t have to do much to help because obviously all you do is make things worse. You really just need to shut up and let me do as I please. I want you to be supportive through everything and just back me up in whatever I do. Another thing you could do is treat me as an equal or maybe even your queen. That would make me feel very special. I’ve treated you like a king all these years so it is my turn. Thank you very much for your time, John.
With love and some anger,
The Queen.