A Nightmare | Teen Ink

A Nightmare

By Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois
Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

"Let your mind sart a journey through a strange new world..."

I ran as fast as I could. But the black cloud kept rushing at me. I suddenly felt like I was coursing through molasses. The darkness was gaining. Soon, it was on top of me. I thrashed around, but I couldn’t get out. Soon, images floated through it. My father as he was verbally lashed by my mother. The other way around. My dad slamming the door. My mother cussing her head off after him. Me, sobbing, hiding in the closet for three hours.

A hand reached down and pulled me above the blackness. It took three tries. It was him.
I was on a cloud. A river of gold ran to my right and purple trees (I loved that color). The boy gave me a look that said: This is just getting harder and harder.

“Thank you,” I gasped. I had a hard time harnessing my voice. Normally I couldn’t do it at all. I was a weird dreamer.

He grinned. His face was usually innocent (his eyes were pools of bright blue) but his smile made him look like one of those irresistible, bad boys from the movies. Too bad life wasn’t a film. You’re always assured a happy ending.

I smacked myself in the forehead. In letting myself space, the boy had left. Now I would just sit here until I woke up. Like I said, my way of dreaming is strange. It’s not like when the good part of your dream ends; you either stop or wake up all together. No, mine were on some kind of schedule. I always knew that I was screwed up. Not to mention my family.

This is from a longer piece of work (still in progress) Please enjoy reading.(By the way, my character's parents got divorced)

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

Awwww, thank you!! You are officialy my favorite teen inker!! I have most of the novel posted this is the first page

Pretzel..Dream GOLD, Longmont, Colorado

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Amazing. The conflict is very strong and I love your characters they sound like real people. Also you leave me curious: Who is the boy?

I am really looking forward to reading more of your work.

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice! This was actually something I wrote in, what, sixth grade? I kind of just dug it up haha. I'm a lottt better now ^.^

leah_bee GOLD said...
leah_bee GOLD, New Iberia, Louisiana

Be yourself; because those who care don't matter and those who matter don't care. :)

--Dr. Seuss

its a really good start to a really complex piece. honestly, though i was a little confused in the middle because i wasn't sure if it really was a dream or not. idk if this is what you intended or not but thats how i felt as the reader. also i think you could incorporate the phrases in parentheses without having to set them off from the sentence. it might flow better that way. good job keep writing:)

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

Thanks, guys!

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I have to agree with Laughternchoclate, my favorite part of the story was that line too. :)

I like how it ties in so many topics. Good job!

on Jun. 3 2010 at 11:56 am
WhiteRabbit BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Why do we fall sir? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." -Batman Begins

Hey that was awesome I wrote a story somewhat like this one so I know what you mean, how dreams can be a safehaven, but can also be influenced by your real life. Try reading my story The Fear in Dreams, I think you'd like it.

Authorgal98 GOLD, Frankort, Illinois

awwww, thank you!!!!

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
WHOA! THIS IS AWESOME - i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE when you say 'the boy gave me a look that said: this is getting harder and harder.' The. Absolute. Best. of it's. kind.