Freedoms Breath | Teen Ink

Freedoms Breath

By singdance7 SILVER, Davenport, Iowa
singdance7 SILVER, Davenport, Iowa

"Do what you can with what you have with where you are" Teddy Roosevelt i think
"I love life because what more is there" Unknown
"Remember, the future comes one day at a time" Unknown

It’s the middle of the night, and the sky is brightly working to my advantage; and disadvantage. Bright lights can help me see, but it also helps them. If they find me, I won’t come back here. Life is brutal; I couldn’t explain it with words. I had no choice, no say in anything. I was a prisoner.
With my face covered by my hood, I leave my yard. I breathe heavily, and then stop. I must stay quiet for survival. I have no family to keep me here. My country -- no this is not my country, this retched government killed all of those who where dear to me, this terrible place murdered them.
I move faster, towards the river; the silent river, frozen solid, my way to freedom. I left my shoes behind, for fear of making too much noise. The ice was cold
I pull my wrap tighter, locking in warmth as I take another step.
Shouting. I don’t look back. I fun faster, zigzagging my way across the ice, trying to become a difficult target.
I gasped; pain, taking its course through the back of my shoulder as blood gushes out. I cover one side, but blood comes out the other.
I force myself forward; neither I nor my family will die in vain. I finally come towards the edge, and I take my first step as a free woman. I lay down on the cold, hard ground; I smile, breathing heavy. With my last will, I made it to freedom. My soul is finally free, and I pass on.

I learned about how people in North Korea try to escape because they don't like the situation the country is in and that they are not free. Many people died trying to escape. One girl that did live, crossed a frozen river to freedom, that's how i got the inspiration for this.

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

wow thats really kool u wrote this bcuz of North Korea. thats pretty creative, and the article was greatt. i kept reading faster n with more interest:]