The Running- Part one: The Darkness | Teen Ink

The Running- Part one: The Darkness

May 29, 2010
By OceanOwl23 GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
OceanOwl23 GOLD, Amarillo, Texas
12 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"love makes the world go 'round. Embrace it with your whole heart and live."


We ran. We ran because our lives depended on it. Depended on how far and how fast our feet could go. Gunfire sounds behind us and something hit me in the back. Hard. I feel the familiar blood running slowly down my back. I slow, and lag behind. Finally I fall. Breathless with pain, and unable to move, my friends carry on ahead. I call their names but it comes out as a weak scream. They disappear beyond the hill and are lost from me. My hope is gone, and a lot of my blood as well. I army crawl to a near by tree, leaving a trail of blood behind me, I pass out just under it’s branches. My world goes black, only hollow sounds ring in my head.
Screaming, gunfire. Footsteps come closer to me. He screams. Cries for me. She is behind him, crying also. His arms wrap around me and they lift me gently. They both gasp and her sobs grow stronger. His eyes fill with tears of pain. He runs with me gently, taking each step with the utmost care .
I don’t know how far we’ve gone. I don’t know how I’m still alive, all I know is that my heart still beats. My blood has stopped and the bullet is gone. He saved me, he knew what he had to do if I had any chance at making it through this, I hang loosely on his back, just focusing on hanging on.
I think it’s a warehouse. His voice echoed off the brick walls, as he told her things that needed to be done. I was set down on some soft supplies and they talked quietly. Eventually I fell asleep completely and lost my hearing. My mind was still blank and it felt like I was resting in darkness, but I was safe. We all were. At least for now…