Normal Life | Teen Ink

Normal Life

July 11, 2010
By Wit_and_Envy PLATINUM, Salem, Oregon
Wit_and_Envy PLATINUM, Salem, Oregon
21 articles 0 photos 5 comments

"She'll come back. You know, she is most likely still suspension... again." Clare linked her arm through mine as we made our way down the steps to the library. I nodded, remembering the day. She walked out of gym, but not before she flipped of the teacher. Silly Kate. I laughed about it with her later, but I could not help to feel just a little disappointed with her.

"Oh.My.God. You know who I saw--" Clare went off about a story that has been passed down through ten teenagers. I let myself wonder in my mind and I found myself missing Katie insanely. She wouldn't be telling me this story. She wouldn't care, or even know those people's names. She knew my name though.

I blushed. If Kate was here, we would be outside staring at the clouds and laughing until we both cried.

When Clare and I hit the landing of the library, I stopped, Clare went on going. Not even noticing that my arm was no longer linked through hers. She went through the library doors. I stared at the front of the school.

Kate stared back at me. I couldn't believe the sight of her. She was frail, swaying slightly, her hair was limp and her lip piercing was removed.

I ran to her, hugging her tightly until I heard her wince. I pulled away slowly and carefully. The question must have been in my eyes, because she gave me answer.

"I have cancer."