kangaroo | Teen Ink

kangaroo

By gemmmmma GOLD, Leopold, Other
gemmmmma GOLD, Leopold, Other

make sure you live before you die.

Holding myself steady, I grasp my frozen hands around the metal bar on the back of the ute, my eyes following the spotlight, back and forth, left to right, across the empty paddock. “There he is,” The man with the twenty-two standing next to me says, as he points to the right of the ute. The other man directing the spotlight moves it straight onto the wounded kangaroo. It’s limp gets more obvious by every hop, and soon enough it stops jumping. I wasn’t quite sure weather or not it was going to attack us or fall over. It was leaning to the right and slowly turning in circles, trying to keep its balance. I could swear that it’s exactly what it would look like if you gave a kangaroo a six-pack of beer. The man driving the ute jumps out as the roo falls to the ground. I swear it was looking at me, just begging and hoping with all its life I would yell out ‘stop!’ It was breathing so hard its whole body moved, right down to its tail. “Hey Shorty, bring the gun over ‘ere he’s still goin’,” he pulled out a knife and attempted to slit it’s throat but it found some energy still left in its dying body. Before he could get away the man grabbed its tail and kept a firm grip as it helplessly jumped around, trying to escape its death. A man jumps off the back of the truck with his shotgun strapped over his shoulder. “He’s a feisty bugger eh,” he said with a huge smile on his face. He slid his gun from his shoulder to his hand and waited for the beast to steady. It was dizzily jumping in all directions trying to escape, the most horrific moment in its life, right above seeing his mate get shot down just moments ago. Everyone was laughing at the man leaning back, trying to keep the roo still. It gave up. As it slowly sat down, the man with the shotgun walked in closer, making sure he doesn’t shoot his mate still holding its tail. Its eyes were looking around in sheer terror. Bang. It lifelessly flopped to the ground as thick blood flowed and bubbled out of its neck. Its fight for life was over.

gemmmmma GOLD said...
gemmmmma GOLD, Leopold, Other

make sure you live before you die.

lol your cute ellie

eloise said...
omg. thats amazing. so sad :(