It should have been me | Teen Ink

It should have been me

By charlie1314 BRONZE, Somewhere, Florida
charlie1314 BRONZE, Somewhere, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

i love you

“Leave me alone!” I yelled at him, wiping my tears away. I was running on the street far away from that party, far away from him. I couldn’t believe what I just witnessed. I saw him kissing another girl. He was now running after me, trying to bring me to my senses and explain what happened. I didn’t want to listen to any of it, I saw everything with my own eyes and I wasn’t stupid, I know what it looked like.
“Charlie please wait!” he said while running, catching up to me.
I turned around, for a moment that seemed like only seconds, and stared at him. He was only a few feet away from me, trying to catch his breath.
“I hate you” I said, trying to speak through my tears. “I thought you loved me.” I said, sobbing now.
Without looking back, I ran nor noticing all the cars on the road. I heard him scream my name, and felt him running towards me. Then, I saw the front lights of a big truck heading towards where we were. I felt him pushing me away and then I heard a big bang. The car that was driving towards me hit him. He was lying motionless on the ground, with blood everywhere. I started screaming. I think it was the only time I screamed so loud. Somebody called an ambulance and they soon came to take him away on stretchers.
“No!” I screamed. “Nicolas! No!” They took me too. I couldn’t stop screaming and shaking and I had bruises covering my arms and my knees. I don’t remember much after that, just a lot of screaming and the sirens of an ambulance car.
I couldn’t stop blaming myself for what happened. It was my fault. If I haven’t reacted the way I did and ran away, you wouldn’t have chased after me. The truck should have run over me. I should have been the one who died. It should have been me.

This is my first piece.