The Doorman | Teen Ink

The Doorman

September 28, 2010
By Soar57 SILVER, Thatcher, Arizona
Soar57 SILVER, Thatcher, Arizona
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't whine, it don't get you anything.


There once was an old man that sat on a bench outside the Little Italy Restaurant in the small town of Thiciliy. He would greet every man, woman, and child that passed him. He also held that door open for people entering and people leaving. He was extremely courteous.


Sometimes, the man would eat in there. But even then, he always sat at the table next to the door, and greets people leaving and entering. As always, he held the door open.


People were always grateful for his kindness. Eventually, the people grew used to the old man, to the point where they didn’t even notice him.


Then one day, he was gone. The people realized this and asked the manager in the Olive Garden. He said that the man had suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital.


That was when the lonely old man was visited in his hospital room. To the hospital staff’s surprise, over half a million people had visited him in one day. The man saw every face that he had greeted during his time there. His kindness was finally being repaid. Days later, the man passed away.


And the city wept, it wept for the doorman.

The author's comments:
I was inspired ironically by sitting outside of an Italian restaurant. I noticed the way people would thank those that held the door open passively, and without much thought. This got me thinking.