Solitary Wing | Teen Ink

Solitary Wing

November 9, 2010
By TheGraeWolf GOLD, Pikeville, North Carolina
TheGraeWolf GOLD, Pikeville, North Carolina
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Forget it and move forward, this is a New Era"


I finally came around, opening my wearied lids to two gray masses on either side of me, and what appeared to be a hallway ahead. I couldn’t move any of my body, and could hardly feel anything. My vision slowly came back and I could see that I was being dragged by a couple of Russian Spetsnaz carrying Vintorez rifles. I wondered what happened to the rest of my team, and began to ask of their whereabouts, “Where-” but was suddenly smacked in the mouth with the butt of one of the rifles.

“Do not speak,” the Spetsnaz to my right muttered in a deep, bass voice that shook my body with each syllable.

They stopped and let go of me so that I dropped to the floor with a loud thunk. By now I had regained feeling in most of my body, and was able to feel the pain as I hit the floor.

“Can you stand?” The Spetsnaz to my left had a much higher, nasally voice that came out like a shriek.

I managed to pull myself up as pain surged through my body. They nodded, and one went ahead of me while the other stayed directly behind me. They led me down a small stairwell; the light faded more and more with each step.
We entered into another room, eventually my eyes adjusted and I could hundreds of doors to my left and right. They had no bars, just small slots with a metal piece that slid over it, so food could be put through. Judging by the distance between doors, the rooms were exceptionally small; I then realized that they weren’t rooms, but cells. I was in the legendary Solitary Wing.
The air was hot and moist; the only cool air came from vents located on the ceiling, which was too high for anyone to feel the relief of the cold air. I puzzled over how it managed to be so hot when we were in the middle of Siberian winter, but was pulled from my thoughts as I as suddenly thrust into an open cell. The walls around me were bathed in pale blue light that came from a single bulb that seemed so ancient it was mystery how it still produced any light. The lights went out at what I estimated to be about 2000 hours, but it was impossible to tell for sure without any outside light source. I went and sat in the bunk which had faded threadbare sheets and stood next to a bowl-shaped mechanism that was so covered in layers and layers of filth that I couldn’t tell for sure what it was, but could only assume it was the toilet.
I sat and waited, minutes melded into hours, and the feeling of the isolation and boredom tore at my mind. A small dark shape suddenly scurried across the wall, just barely out of my vision. I heard a tiny squeak as the rat disappeared into a miniscule hole in the wall.
I assumed that the rest of my Reconnaissance team all had similar fates. As dreadful as it was for us, that didn’t matter. All that mattered was the fact that Russia was mass producing a new Weapon of Massive Destruction, and only we knew about the devastating attack they had been planning.

The author's comments:
This was actually something I wrote for an English assignment on imsgery a while back.