The big bang | Teen Ink

The big bang

November 18, 2010
By freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
freewriter_123 SILVER, Miramar, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 75 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whoever said nothing was impossible never tried slamming a revolving door." ;)


Do you ever see those sad stories on the news? Where families lose a father or a husband? Or they lose someone to cancer? Most of the time you feel bad and you give them your sympathy, but you never consider the fact that you could be next. That next time someone turns on the news you’re the one on the T.V screen crying about the horrible tragedy. Well as it turned out I was next. You see I was with my older cousin Mary and my best friend Gaby. We were driving back from the movies. We had the music blasting and we were all singing along to the music having a great time. Mary and Gaby had their seat-belts on. I didn’t. When I turn to look at my cousin I see a huge truck’s headlights approaching.




---------------------------------------
When I opened my eyes I saw a bright light. My mind went back to the car accident and I jerked away, but something was holding me back. I looked down at my arms and saw needles. I looked up and saw the bright light that scared me. I tried to move, but there was a sharp pain in one of my ribs. Almost like someone was stabbing me with a knife. I couldn’t feel my legs. I looked down on them and saw one of them was in a cast. The other was severely bruised. I looked at my arms. They were also bruised and very sore, but not broken. When I tried lifting my head it felt like lifting up a car. I had a massive headache. My throat felt dryer than a desert and yearned for water. I looked around me and for the first time I realized I wasn’t the only one in the room. On the bed next to me was Mary. She was asleep and had a bandage on her head. She had a wire on her that made the machine beep. My eyes were fixed on her in shock, my dry throat forgotten. I tried once again to get up, but couldn’t. I tried calling her name, but my voice was low and raspy. I coughed. Then the door opened and a nurse came. She looked like she was about sixty years old. She had laugh lines and the greenest eyes I have ever seen. When she saw me she smiled and stated, “Well good morning sleepy head. You’ve been out for three days.” She was looking at her clipboard and started to write stuff down. “Where’s my family?” I asked. It came out like a whisper, but she heard me. “They had to work, but your friend is in the other room. You want me to get her?” She asked me. I nodded and coughed some more. She left the room and came back with Gaby and a glass of water. Gaby was in crutches and had an IV in her arm. Her face was pale and had little scratches and a big one on her arm. When she saw me she breathed a sigh of relief. She came towards my bed. The nurse gave me my water and I started chugging it down. The nurse laughed at me as she walked out. “I was so worried about you. How are you feeling?” She asked me. I held my finger out asking her to pause. ”Better.” I replied finally. She nodded and looked over at Mary. I noticed that her eyes were bloodshot and puffy. Her nose was red. “What happened to Mary?” I asked her cautiously. Gaby’s eyes started to fill with tears. “Mary hit her head on the steering wheel hard. She’s in a coma and they don’t know if she’s going to make it.” That’s when Gaby started crying really hard. I did too. We sat their crying for what seemed like a long time. When we were done she gave me a hug. I suddenly felt really worn out and fell asleep again. When I woke up I heard voices around me. I heard doctors going around the room. I heard my parents talking quietly. When I opened my eyes they both gave me a big hugs and sighed of relief. When I looked by my side Mary had her eyes open. She had awakened from her coma. She was really sick but she was awake. For the next couple days the news had been hounding us like dogs, wanting pictures and interviews. When I was released I came out with only crutches. When I got home and turned on the news we were all over it. Our town is little so whenever something big happens it’s all over the place for a least two weeks. Mary, Gaby, and I all got tons of flowers, cards, and balloons from friends and family. Mary got better and is now at her house. Everything’s back to normal, but I always think about it. You never know what will happen until it’s too late. Thats why you live you're life to the fullest and don't ever regret. The big bang changed my outlook on life.


The author's comments:
I know the ending might be a little off so please forgive me. I really couldn't think of something.