Backyard Creek | Teen Ink

Backyard Creek

November 14, 2010
By StoryBox34 SILVER, Caldwell, Ohio
StoryBox34 SILVER, Caldwell, Ohio
9 articles 4 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts. -Anonymous


Walking past a backyard creek, listening to all the sounds. The leaves in the wind, the flow of the water, the chirps of the birds, and the sound of my bare feet, gently walking through the almost-dead grass. It’s all so real.

The wind seems to talk to me, as I make my way down the endless, trickling stream. The water splashes at my feet, cooling them down as if it were doing it intentionally. Everything seems so alive. The smell, the taste, even the sounds are put together so perfectly. The birds are chirping in my ears, and the insects are hopping around my feet. The squirrels are chasing each other up trees, and the salt-ish aroma that doesn’t want to get out of my nose is becoming more of an enjoyment.

Eventhough my legs are beginning to hurt, I just can’t stop walking. I want to see beyond what I can currently see, then keep going. I want to lose myself in the beauty. I couldn’t imagine a life without this kind of pleasure. Not many people stop to explore their backyards. Who knows!? You may find that this simple landscape may just be the most fascinating place you have ever visited…


The author's comments:
The place that is described in thispiece is more or less my grammy's house. My step-sister and I always used to go down to the creek everytime we went to visit her, and we would catch minnows and crawdads, and frogs and butterflies, and we would put them in little candy jars, then, we would run up a giant hill just to show her what we had caught! :) We would always beg her to let us keep all of the creatures we had collected, but she would tell us everytime that a house is no place for a minnow, so we had to take them back down to the creek and set them free. I miss those days, when all my worries consisted of what we were going to catch that day, and if we were going to be allowed to keep it as a pet.