The Photograph Girl | Teen Ink

The Photograph Girl

By ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

“Take” The man’s voice said, and a flash of a camera went off. Almost immediately did a small girl’s head pop up, and carry the camera to the developing room.
She was small, around 5 feet. Her once tweed-brown thick hair, had became so-dark-it-looked-black limpy hair, and her tan skin had became a pale white. Why? Do you ask? It’s because she hardly see’s the sun. She’s enclosed in a dark, non-heated room, her only light camera flashed, and the light bulb in the developing room. She’s not sure how long she’s been doing this. Now, years, months, and days have no effect to her. The only thing she keeps track of is the hand going to six twice a day. One six to start in the morning, and the other six to end her shift, at night.
Sure, people stare. Who wouldn’t with their tan skin, and bright colors, is taken aback by a girl who’s pretty much black and white? Wouldn’t you stare? Don’t lie, of course you would! At first, she was uncomfortable with the stares, but now she’s used to them.
She dips the photo in the black dip, and hangs it with the others, next to the light bulb. No drips, no place heavier in the dip then others, it was perfect, like the others.
There aren’t many people with her. One kind of chubby man, who’s in charge, a model who some pictures are of, and a boy who comes, and watches, occasionally fixing the model’s hair, face, or position. The only one near her age is the boy, for the man, and the model is much older. They’re good company, and the best part is that she’s not judged by her appearance.
I know you’re thinking why doesn’t she quit? Well, this city is full of photographers, many without jobs. Besides, they feed her, pay her, and like you read before, they’re good company.
So she’ll continue it, simply taking photos, and developing them. Once the man and the model die, the boy will become the model, and she’ll be taking picture of him, until the day she dies.
When you see her don’t ask for her name, the street name, the company she works at, the time, or even her address, because she won’t know. If you want, simply call her the “Photograph Girl”, and maybe ask for a photo.