Wanted | Teen Ink

Wanted

By SecretToTheInside BRONZE, Manitowoc, Wisconsin
SecretToTheInside BRONZE, Manitowoc, Wisconsin

"Whatever Floats Your Boat"

I got home and set my empty, unused backpack on the floor. “Order the Slice N’ Dice today! Only 3 payments of 29.99” I herd the TV say. The add made me hungry, so I wandered off into the kitchen in search for something to eat. After much consideration, I choose the apple over the orange since I didn’t want to go to the doctors office on the day of graduation. Graduation. I am the youngest in my class, sixteen. I guess I just studied harder than the rest of the kids. During work time I always finished first so I would get farther ahead of the text books.

My feet were cold as they crossed the bare floor to the bookcase. My eyes, scanning the rows of books fell across an old tattered one, Shakespeare. Burring my nose in the withered pages I plopped down on the couch.
***

I woke up to the sound of my parents coming home. It was five o’clock in the morning. My parents were practically blind, as they stumbled through the house. I crept out into the hallway, staggering into the darkness. My eyes still clouded with sleep. I felt along the edge of the wall until my hand and the light switch met. I pulled on my cloths and my graduation robes. I moved to the kitchen and dumped the contents from the cereal box into a bowl.

Grabbing my coat and back pack, I ran to school with barely a good bye.
***
“Camry Albei” the principle called my name. When I got on stage he congratulated me, handed me my diploma, and asked me to regain my spot. Everyone followed the exact same routine. I was expecting Rawjet to reply today, so as soon as the ceremony was over, I ran back home.

When I walked in the door my mom was actually awake to greet me.

“Hey Camry,” my mom said in a gravely tone.

“Hey mom,” I replied, “Do you know if my letter from Rawjet came yet?” My mom handed me an envelope labeled with the Rawjet seal. I quickly tore open the letter.
Dear Camry,
That’s weird, I thought they always typed their acceptance letters.
We’re sorry but you did not make it into Rowjett. Better luck next time.
L8er,
Mr. Principle

“Mom!” my mom embraced me in a hug.

“It’s okay Cam Cam, you can stay home with us!”

“Mom, why is this letter hand written, and why was Rawjet spelt wrong, AND how on earth did you know that I ‘didn’t’ get in?“ I questioned.

“Well, I,“ my mom struggled to find the right words, “The real letter was just to harsh so I had to write you less inconsiderate letter.”

So it was true. I really didn’t get in. My whole self esteem shattered as I came to this realization. Re-reading the make-shift letter I sobbed into my mothers chest. She just rocked me. Although she was a pretty terrible mom I had to admit this felt nice for once.

That night my mom tucked my in with a kiss on my forehead. With the flick of the light all of my problems came to my mind. I cried myself to sleep.
***

Shuffling into the kitchen I poked around for more cereal. I checked in the garbage to see if mom had ate the last of it. But what I found was much moredisturbing. It was a note. Formally addressed to me. I fished it out.

Dear Ms. Albei,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Rawjet University. Your 4.0 is very impressive for a student so young and we are prepared to offer you a full scholarship. We would be honored to have you at our school. You must be at Rawjet at exactly nine o’ clock sharp on Tuesday, November 3, 2010.
Congratulations,
Madeline Bothe
Dean of Students

I screamed. My mom came running into the kitchen. “Are you hurt?”

“Like you care!” I screeched back. I thrust the letter at her. She took one glance at it and sighed.

“I knew I couldn’t hide it from you,” mom said sadly, like she actually cared. “I didn’t want you to go, I would miss you to much.” She and I argued it out for awhile until she concluded with agreeing to take me.
***
We were about half way to Rawjet and I was practically bouncing in my seat. I spotted a motel and mom pulled in. The motel was kind of dirty and a lot of the outside lights are burned out. We rented a cheap room on the first floor. I decided to get to sleep early so I wouldn‘t be late getting up. I dreamt I was at Rawjet, that I had a lot of friends, and it was a wonderful place to be.

I looked at the clock and it was six thirty. I jumped in the shower and ran a brush through my knotted brown hair until it was stick straight. When I was done I quickly changed and woke my mother up. This time I drove so she could continue to sleep. At last I turned the final corner to Rawjet an fell in love. I almost forgot to give my mom a hug good bye as I raced inside.

It turns out that I have blossomed more than any one else in my town. I got my want.

I spent a LOT of time and effort on this, hope you enjoy!