So Many Choices | Teen Ink

So Many Choices

By abottleofcreativeness BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California
abottleofcreativeness BRONZE, Rancho Cucamonga, California

it takes guts to love. but it takes nerve to go back to the one who broke you.

I didn't realize my life would change so abruptly. Walking in the mall with Zoey and Justin, I suggested that we head to the food court. It was winter break and we had two weeks of NO SCHOOL. So to celebreate each time we have no school, we go to the mall. The food court in our mall was really pretty with a marble like fountain in the center. As I was walking towards the Burger King trying to find my wallet in my purse some guy on a skateboard knocked into me and we both went splashing into the fountain.

I tried to get up and was ready to slap him when he turned around. His blue eyes sparkled. I swear I was hanging my mouth open like an idiot. He took my hand and helped me up. "I am so sorry," he said. "I was rushing to get to my sister's ballet practice to pick her up." I stood up, dripping wet all over.

"It's no problem," I said. I tried to ignore the chill from the breeze outside since I was soaked. He helped me out.

"Again, I am so sorry."

"Honestly, it's no problem."

"Can I buy you the burger you were heading over to get?" Why did he have to seem so damn perfect? I had a boyfriend. I nodded. He walked me over and he bought me a bacon cheeseburger. "What's your name?" he asked me.

"Kaitlyn."

"Daniel."

"Well it's nice to meet you Daniel. If I see you again, hopefully I'm dry." We both laughed. He sat with me for a little while we dried off... But it ended too soon.

"Crap I have to go pick up my sister!" He grabbed his skateboard and rode off. I got up completely frazzled by the whole scene. Zoey and Justin ran up to me. "Whoa he was seriously hot!" Of course. Zoey has a crush on the new guy. "Did you get his name? Address? Number? Date of birth? Favorite color?"

"Calm down Zoey," said my friend Justin. He's had a crush on Zoey since 3rd grade when we all first met.

"I can't help it! He was so yummy looking!" I rolled my eyes.

"You can have him," I said. "I have a boyfriend remember?"

Zoey started jumping more and more. "YAY! We're gonna get married, have 4 kids and the first one's name will be Clyde."

Justin and I looked at each other, then at her. Then we started to burst out laughing. I almost forgot that I was dripping wet. "Hey guys? Can we go? I'm pretty cold." It was a December afternoon and it was 42 degrees out. They nodded. All I heard for the entire car ride was how Clyde was going to be the best kid ever. "We'll be Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Lastnameunknown." Zoey's ranting was going to last all of winter break. I knew it.

* * * * *

Waking up in my purple bedroom, I felt refreshed. The lavender scented spray that I put on my pillow woke me up completely. I got up and walked to my balcony and sat outside. The sun was up, I could tell but the clouds covered the sky. Maybe I should call him. He's coming back tonight. Yeah, I'll do it. I grabbed my iPhone 4 and quickly dialed his number.

"Hello?" he answered on the first ring.

"Hey Nick. It's Kaitlyn."

"Katie-Kat! How are you?" I heard the annoying nickname that he dubbed me on our 3rd date.

"Doing fine. Some skateboard dude ran into me at the food court and we tumbled into the fountain. It was pretty funny. Zoey thinks he's absolutely hot. To make up for it, he bought me a bacon cheeseburger." I was about to tell him how he was on his way to pick up his sister from ballet class and that's why he was so rushed that he crashed into me, but his end of the line got silent. "Hello?" I asked. "Nick?"

"Yeah," he said guardedly.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Did you kiss him?" he asked bitterly.

"What? No of course not, I've never met him before yesterday. Honestly Nick what the heck is wrong with you?"

"I'm sorry," he said. "I just don't like to be away from you for long. I get nervous that you're going to meet some guy and break up with me."

I don't know why but I started laughing. "Are you kidding me? You're the one in the foreign country. It's me who should be worried."

He laughed too. "You got nothing to worry bout baby. I'm yours forever! See you tomorrow?"

I smiled. "See you tomorrow." Then, I hung up.

* * * * *

After the phone call with my boyfriend, I got up and decided to go to the mall again. In truth, yes I was hoping to run into Daniel LastNameUnknown but it was purely for friendship reasons. Right?

I got into my purple VW Bug and drove by the ballet studio. Sure enough, he was there. I pulled up. "Hey," I said. He looked up and smiled.

"Hey," he said, his blue eyes sparkling even though it was cloudy.

"Picking up your sister again?" I asked. He smiled.

"Yeah. Sorry I ran off yesterday. I was late and she got really mad at me."

"No problem," I said, as I shrugged it off. "No big deal." I sat down next to him. "So where are you from?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "East coast. Massachusetts." I nodded, hardly listening. I was looking at his beautiful blue eyes.

"What's your last name?" I asked him.

"Anderson."

"Cool. Mine's Burke." Oh god. Did I really just say that?

He smiled at me. Not sarcastically but warm and nice. "Which neighborhood do you live in?" I asked him.

"You sure have a lot of questions don't you?" he asked me. I shrugged. He chuckled. "I live in the one across the way from this mall." He pointed to the cluster of really nice homes that was my neighborhood.

"Really? I live there too." I said, trying to sound less excited than I was. What would Nick say if he knew the hot new guy lived in my neighborhood?

"Well here's my sister. Got to go. See ya round Kaitlyn." He got up and got in the car to drive his sister home. But before he left, he waved goodbye. I smiled and waved back. I called Justin and told him everything.

"Nick's gonna have a hissy fit if he finds out."

"That's why we're not gonna tell him," I said plainly.

"But what if Daniel tells him?"

"Not gonna happen. Nothing's going to change because of this okay?"

He was silent for a minute. "No problem. Got to go to Zoey's house for dinner. Good luck with your boy drama. Buh bye!"

* * * * *

"Make 'em go OH OH OH! As you shoot across the sky OH OH! Baby you're a..." then I hit the snooze button. Waking up to this song used to be my favorite thing but now...? Sorry Katy, it's just too dramatic for you right now... I sighed. What would Nick think? The hot new guy I told him I was not at all crushing on, lives right across the street. I sighed. If the part where I wasn't crushing on him was true, we wouldn't have a problem at all... Well, life as I know it may change, even if only slightly. I may end up with one of 3 options:

1.) Old boyfriend, new friend
2.) New boyfriend, new ex
3.) New ex, new friend

Well I'm just out of options. I was about to call Zoey when my phone rang.

I like to write stories leaving a little bit of mystery at the end so people can guess what the character will choose. I like to make sure that everyone thinks they have a say in what the character will do. It makes people happy, which makes me happy.