Illuminating the Dust | Teen Ink

Illuminating the Dust

March 11, 2011
By Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York
Zoe_T PLATINUM, New City, New York
38 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss


It was the night that something could happen- the stars were bright and the moon was full. There was tension in the air and dried up branches swaying in the breeze. The roads were quiet and dark, except for one lone car making its way down the road.

A thin cloud of dust followed the car. The rattle of the old engine sounded through the night, startling a sole bird that suddenly crept through the desolate landscape. The car lights broke the darkness with their artificial glow as the old vehicle continued to rumble along.

A faint glow shone from the interior of the blue car, breaking the darkness. The gleam illuminated the faces of the three passengers. The light created shadows in the car, giving them a bluish appearance.

They were singing along off key to some old Blues song over the rattle of the engine. The three were all sitting in the front, wedged tight, trying to stay warm. The heat wasn’t working.

The dust kept following the car like a powerful ghost as the car kept pressing onward. Miles passed and the dust continued to chase the car around each bend of the narrow road. The car would never be able to escape the dust- the trash left by humanity.

The passengers kept singing the Blues, their feet tapping. They could not escape this road. This road to nowhere has no end. These passengers, anonymous people, only had their bluish dreams and that Blues songs to keep them busy. The dust would be relentless because the road leads to nowhere.