Sipping Lemonade | Teen Ink

Sipping Lemonade

By UNCPanda SILVER, Virginia Beach, Virginia
UNCPanda SILVER, Virginia Beach, Virginia

You can never be sure with love. You just have to take your chances and hope it turns out well~ unknown

The sun glowed a bright yellow overhead, making one of the hottest days of the year. The oceans and pools were over crowded, sprinklers littered yards and air conditions were cranked up high. Yet here I sat, in the heat, on my grandmother’s front porch, sipping lemonade.

We sat in the quiet of the heat, content to just be in each other’s company. It had been years since we had seen each other. She looked like she had when she was twenty-four; young, healthy, alive.

“You look good.” I said, breaking the silence before taking another sip of lemonade.

She gave me a small smile, retaining the look of being far away, just out of my reach and said “That’s what death does, it frees you.”

The smile widened at the sound of the screen door squeaking as it opened. My grandfather stepped out, looking like he had when he had been twenty-three. He took the seat next to my grandmother on the porch swing, before allowing me a small smile.

The silence returned, only for a few moments. “So trouble,” I smiled at the old nickname “What do you need?”

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow, in question, although deep down, I knew what he meant. He stared right back at me, his eyes forcing an answer out of me. I took a deep breath “I guess, I just really wanted to see you guys.” I shifted curling my legs underneath me as sweat made them stick to the chair. It was my grandmother’s turn this time, she raised her eyebrows and gave me a stern look.

I took another sip of lemonade before setting it down on the end table, the ice was almost gone. I then turned my attention to the yard; I had spent a good majority of my childhood playing in that yard with my siblings and cousins. I finally answered “It’s strange not seeing you guys all the time anymore. I mean I went to seeing you guys at least once a week to nothing.” I looked at them, it would be ten years since I had seen my Granddaddy this November and three years since I had seen my Grammy this may. “I’m starting to forget.” I admitted

“That’s normal.” My granddaddy said with a shrug.

“But I don’t want to forget.”

“You’ll never forget us completely.” Grammy said

“You’re alive trouble, so live.” Granddaddy added

With that my dream began to fade sending me into a dreamless slumber, with only the whispers of I love you running through my mind.

PJD17 SILVER said...
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

excellent work i really liked this keep it up  could you please check out and comment on my story Numb.  i would really appreciate the feedback