You of All People Part 1 | Teen Ink

You of All People Part 1

May 2, 2011
By Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
Valhalla-is-calling GOLD, Waterboro, Maine
13 articles 0 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No parent should have to bury their own child." -Theodin


You’re the social flirt of the school. You flirt with every girl, except me. I want you to notice me, but you never do. I do everything possible to get you to talk to me. I Facebook you and I make questions in my head but never ask you any of them. Besides, you’re a sophomore and I’m in 8th grade. We text every night but then never talk during the day. Our conversations usually go something like this.
“Hey buddy” I text
“Hi cutie.” he’d text me because I was younger than him and he liked flirting.
“Wuzzup?”
“Ntm eating food.”
“That’s funn I’m doin hw”
“Oh. Text me if you need help.”
“Ya of course.”
And that would be the end of our conversation. Even though we see each other everyday after school, we never continue our conversations. But then there was one day when all that changed.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Mom!I’m going with my friends to the mall today!” I screamed up the stairs.
“OK honey! Be back before dinner or call me!” she screamed back at me.
“K mom! Bye!” I say as I walked out the door.
My friends Kayley and Pason picked me up and together we rode to the mall.
“So where do you want to go first girls?” asked Kayley in her girliest way.
“Really Kay?” asked Pason.
“Ya Pay. How ‘bout you Lily? Where do you want to go?”
“Umm...How about Claire’s?” I said.
“Sounds good to me! We can look at earring, and wigs, and...” Kayley continued on as I zoned out.
When we got there it wasn’t very crowded. As we walked to Claire’s, we barely saw anybody. They were probably all in the food court eating lunch. In Claire’s, we all looked at different things. Kayley, being the girly girl she is, was looking at bathing suits and dresses. Pason was the athletic one, so she was looking at the soccer shorts. She was also looking at the guy’s clothing. Because to her, they feel better on her than girls clothes. As for me, I was looking around the store. I couldn’t really find anything that appealing to me.
“Hey Lily! You might like this dress. Come here.” Kayley I’m looking at earrings over here.
“Any girl knows the earrings aren’t there. Now get over here! I found a really pretty dress.” Kay begged
“Ug! Fine!” I said as I walked over to where Kayley was.
It truly was a pretty dress. It was black with white beads on the neckline, and cut off at the knees.
“I do like that dress. How much is it?” I asked hesitantly.
“Umm...$15.” it’s a good deal!
“I guess I’ll get it.” I said because I had $100 to spend at the mall, or wherever.
So I walked over to the cashier lady, who looked extremely bored. i paid her then I put it on in the changing room.
“You look awesome Lil!” Kayley exclaimed as soon as I came out. Just then, I saw him. He was walking around the mall by himself. It was too perfect. I was going to walk out of here with my new dress and then he would see me, and then he would compliment me, and then I would laugh, and then he would ask me to lunch, and then I’d say yes. WAIT! Who am I kidding? That will never happen! I couldn’t let him see me in this dress! It’s not me! So I ran to the changing room to change, but Kayley caught my hand as I was turning the knob.
“What are you doing Lily?” she asked me inquisitively.
“I’m going to change out of this dress and put my normal clothes back on.” I replied quickly.
“But why? Is there a cute guy out there?”
“No Kay, there is no cute guy. It’s just that dresses aren’t really my thing.” I responded as I turned the knob and disappeared into the changing room. I quickly got the dress off me and put on my clothes. I was wearing short shorts, a black and white tank top, and an Aeropostale tee.
“I’m going to walk around and go get lunch. I’ll meet you back here in an hour.” I told both of them. Without waiting for a reply, I bolted out of the store. As soon as my friends couldn’t see me, I looked around for the guy I was chasing. I soon spotted him coming out of Abercrombie and Fitch. He was looking around, probably for his friends. I quickly pretended to be going into the closest store, which was the Apple store. I loved that store. Apparently he saw me going in there because shortly after I walked in, I saw him come in. I was playing on the iPad 2 as he walked in. I risked a glance up at him, and I saw that he was looking around for me. I quickly resumed my game of bejeweled on the iPad. Just as I was about to win, I heard footsteps coming towards me.
“Hey buddy.” I heard a smooth voice say right next to me.
“Hi.” I answered, blushing.
“So you like the new iPad?” he asked me. I couldn’t believe it. His voice was as smooth as an unmoving lake in the early morning.
“Umm...yeah I kinda do I guess.” feeling a little more bolder than before.
After that, there was just awkward silence, and he began exploring the MacBook Pro that was next to me.
“Soo...what are you doing on the laptop?” I asked feeling a little shy.
“Checking my Facebook. Do you have a Facebook Lily?” he asked.
“OMG! He knows my name! What should I say? I mean, I do have a Facebook, but...” I said in my head.
“Yeah I do.” Oh no! Why did I just say that?
“Coolio. What’s your name on it, I’ll add you.” He asked.
“Umm...It’s Lily Scott. I know. It’s not a good last name.” I said briskly.
“Awesome. I’ll search for you when I get home. But right now it’s time for lunch.”
“Yeah. I was just on my way there, but wanted to stop in here first. After all, this is my favorite store.” I muttered, looking away.
“No way! This is my favorite store too!” he exclaimed.
“Ha ha cool.” I’m going to go get lunch now.” I said as I was walking away.
“Wait! Do you want to go to lunch together? But like, just as friends?” he asked me awkwardly.
“Sure!” I said maybe a little too quickly.
“Ok then.” he said as we walked out of the store. This was the most talking we’ve had.
“Lil! There you are we’ve been.......” Kayley stopped mid-sentence when she saw who was next to me. “Excuse me, may I borrow Lily for a second?” Kayley asked politely.
“Yeah, go for it. I’ll meet you in the food court Lily.” he replied as he walked smoothly away.
“TELL. ME. EVERYTHING.” Kayley said. The girlyness gone from her voice.
“Well I text him every night, and when I saw him coming out of Abercrombie and Fitch, he was looking around, so I dived into the Apple store. Then he saw me go in there and followed me. We talked for a while then he asked me to lunch but just as friends.” I said, quickly.
“Well then Lil, you’d better get going. You wouldn’t want to keep Mr. Perfect waiting!” Pason told me as she came up behind Kayley, shutting her up.
“Tell us everything Lil!” Kayley shouted after me as I walked away.
I casually waved my hand back at them without turning around. I slowly walked in the direction of the food court. The tantalizing smells engulfed me. I didn’t even realize the slow footsteps that matched my own. I was too busy day dreaming about James Taylor.
“Hey. I thought you were gonna meet me in the food court.” James said, sounding stern, behind me. It brought me crashing back down to reality.
“Yeah. Isn’t this the way?” I asked, confused.
“Ha ha yeah. I was just teasing you.” He said playfully.
“You scared me! It wasn’t funny!” I said trying to keep a strait face.
“C’mon. You know it was funny.” He said laughing.
“Ha ha yeah it was funny.” I laughed.
“Alright, let’s go get some food. What do you want?” He asked me.
“Umm...Whatever’s good. Maybe chinese?”
“Sounds good to me.” He responded as we walked off in the direction of the food court. “So what did your friends want?” He inquired.
“Oh, they just wanted to know who you were and why I was with you.”
“Ahh.”
The rest of the walk was silent. When we got there, the whole place just seemed to come alive. Compared to the hallways and stores with barely any people in them. This place was loud. We made our way over to one of the chinese food places. Bumping into people as we went.
“Yes, may I help you?” Asked the lady running the place.
“Uhh...I’ll have the chicken lo mien and vegetable stir fry please.” I told her, looking at my choices.
“And I’ll have the same.” Said James.
“Wow. We both like the same thing.” I exclaimed as the lady was preparing our meals.
“Yeah. Umm...Would you like to go see a movie this weekend?” James asked cautiously.
“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” I screamed happily in my head.
“Yeah, movies sound fun. What should we see?”
“Whatever you want to see darling.”
“Ok.” I said as I grabbed my plate that the lady was handing me. We walked to a table for two and began eating. My stomach had butterflies in it as I looked up to find him staring at me with his ice blue eyes. I felt like we were the only two in there. I knew what was going to happen next. James moved his chair next to mine and we continued eating for a while. Then we both looked at each other again. He began to lean toward me and I to him. We both looked at each other, then we closed our eyes and, BRING BRING, went his phone. He looked away and grabbed his phone.
“Yeah. I’m at the food court with my friend. Yeah dad, I’m fine. No, I can get a ride home with one of my friends. Yep, I’m sure. Ok dad, Bye.” He said as he hung up his phone. We had been so close to kissing! I couldn’t believe it!.
“That was my dad.” he told me expectantly.
“Ya, I know.” I said.
“Now where were we?” He asked.
“Just about here.” I said leaning in.
I saw he was leaning in, too. I closed my eyes and waited. I did not have to wait long, because he was about half and inch away from my lips now. We both lean in to kiss each other at the same moment, and then it happened. His lips were against mine and the tasted like the chinese food he had just eaten. The kiss lasted about 3 seconds, then we both pulled away. He was staring intently at me now. I felt sort of awkward.
“Well that was...nice.” I said awkwardly.
“Ha ha yeah. Who knew that would happen?” James asked me.
“Apparently not us.” I said, trying to make him laugh. His laugh sounded like an angel singing. It was so smooth, just like his speech. I loved everything about him. He was funny, smart, older than me, and...WAIT! He’s older than me by two years! How would this work out!?
“Ha ha wowwwww.” he said. A smile parted his lips to reveal his perfect, white teeth. I could tell he was totally flirting with me. “So I uhh....Do...I...Do you want to go out with me?” he asked.
“Yeah...but you’re two years older than me. How will it work out? You go to the high school and I go to the middle school!” I say freaking out.
“Nah. It’s cool. We do see each other after school each day. We also text all the time.” he said trying to prove his point. But he did it so innocently. He did it with such smoothness in his voice. I loved it and him. Everything about him. Wait, I’ve already said that already. Oh well, I don’t care. I love him. He is so so so cute. I haven’t told you what he looks like yet. James Taylor is 5’ 10” with sandy brown hair. He also has piercing blue eyes.
“Yeah, I’ll go out with you I guess.” I said my eyes filled with love for him.
“Ok well, I got to go. My dad’s gonna freak if I come home late again. Bye darling.” He said as he kissed my head.
“Ok bye. I’ll text you later.” I told him.
“Kk bye.” he said.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I was sick of writing horror and wanted to write a romance.