Unrightfully Blamed | Teen Ink

Unrightfully Blamed

By Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York
Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

Jasmine looked at the gray wall and for the first time in three years regretted what she had done. This was the hardest part of the day. Her outside time was gone and dinner wasn’t until about four hours. She hugged her knees to her chest and looked at the writing on the wall. Most of it was from her but some was from past people in the same predicament. “Jasmine.” A voice from outside the bars of her cells called. She looked up and saw one of the security guards. “You have a visitor.” Jasmine almost jumped up. She never got visitors. Even on family day, her family never showed up. They never wrote letters or sent any money but Jasmine didn’t blame them. After what she had done she didn’t want to have any connection with family. She waited in front of the bars for the guard to open them and lead her to the visiting room. She followed quietly in front. When they got to the visiting room there was one person there, a woman with blonde hair. “Aunt Lily?” Jasmine asked dumbfounded. “Jazzy, we know what really happened.” Her aunt answered. Jasmine took a step back and took a deep breath. She knew what really happened but she didn’t think they knew what really happened. “Jazzy we know that he did it. We know that you took the blame and I will get you out of here.” Her aunt continued. Jasmine looked at her aunt sharply and shook her head. “How did you find this out? The gun was in my book bag. The money was in my room, hidden in my special spot and I was convicted of a crime I did.” Jasmine said. “Rightly convicted.” She added. Her aunt looked at her sadly and finally broke down. She collapsed into the nearest chair and cried. When she was done she looked at Jasmine. Her eyes were red and blotchy. “Jazzy, I miss you. Your mother misses you. We know you didn’t do it because he confessed. We caught him and he confessed. He said how he set you up and how it felt to kill that young woman. We found a video of him killing her. You’re free.” Her aunt said, sniffling. Jasmine shook her head in denial. She was the one to blame, wasn’t she? In that moment every second of that day came rushing back.

“Hey Jazzy.” Her friend Reilly greeted. He was holding something under a cloth and he looked almost dizzy with excitement. “Hey Rye. What’s that you got there?” she asked intrigued. “You know Ms. Barn?” he asked. “Duh, I have her the same block as you dummy. That doesn’t explain the thing you’re hiding.” She replied rolling he eyes. Reilly smiled and pulled Jasmine into an alley. “She hates me. She always gives me a hard time. Her stupid class made it impossible for me to get into water polo. So I’ve decided to show her what it feels to be put out of something.” He whispered, his voice getting higher on each word. He slowly unwrapped the cloth. Inside was a gun, a 10mm. Reilly stroked the gun with the back of his hand. “It’s my dad’s.” he explained. “Reilly, you’re not going to kill her are you?” Jasmine asked, her eyes widening. Reilly wrapped the gun up again. “Of course. I thought you of all people would be on my side. You know how much of a b**** Ms. Barn can be.” He said. “Reilly, this is not right. We aren’t God. We don’t decide when a person’s life should be over. Reilly go take that gun home and meet me at The Cow’s Place at four.” Jasmine said walking away. Reilly nodded and put the gun in his book bag. He turned and started home and to Jasmine made it safely. Little did she know he did an errand before going home.

6:20 A.M- “Jasmine, get the door.” Her mom shouted from upstairs. Jasmine got up from the couch and opened the door. Outside there was two officers. They looked serious. “May I help you sirs?” she asked nervous. Police made her nervous. “Are you Jasmine Hanks?” one of them asked. She nodded. They held up her book bag. “Is this yours?” he asked again. Jasmine nodded, wondering how he had got it. “Jasmine, where were you at 3:10 yesterday?” he asked. “Walking home from school. Why?” she replied. “Is there anyone that can prove that?” the policeman asked taking out a notebook. “Yeah, my friend Reilly Smith walks with me. He lives on Forks Ave. His address is 4573.” She answered. “The policeman nodded and turned to leave. Before they left though one of them said, “You are a suspect in the murder of Cecily Barn, Jasmine. If I were you, I wouldn’t go anywhere.” Right then and there Jasmine knew that Reilly had done it. He had murdered their history teacher and now he was going to frame her. “Who was that dear?” Her mother asked coming down the stairs. “Just the next door neighbor asking to borrow sugar. “Oh.” Her mother smiled.

The next few days were terrible for Jasmine. The police took her down for questioning twice. Reilly was never taken. Then they got a warrant to search her room. They searched everything and found two hundred dollars under her mattress. Two hundred dollars was missing from Ms. Barn’s home. After that she ran to Reilly’s house. He answered the door. “Oh, hey Jazzy.” He greeted like nothing had happened. “I told you not to.” She said distraught. “What are you talking about?” he asked. “I told you to go home and put that gun away. Why did you kill her?” Jasmine said. “You killed her. It was your book bag found at the scene with the gun that you stole from my dad. They found the money in your room. I wouldn’t believe it at first but the facts add up. You hated Ms. Barn. She ruined your A streak. Turn yourself in and you won’t a very long sentence.” He said looking at her. Jasmine stared at him and then ran from the house. Maybe she did do it. How would her book bag be in her house and how could the money be in her secret spot. Did she kill their teacher? Well the jury sure did think so when they took Jasmine to court. All twelve jurists said guilty and the judge gave her a sentence of ten years. Jasmine looked at the judge and burst into tears. She didn’t want to go to jail. Her mother looked at her from her seat and turned to walk out. She was done with her daughter. That had been the worst day of Jasmine’s life. It was the day her life ended.

“Jazzy? Jazzy!” someone screamed. Jasmine looked up. Her aunt was staring at her. She had fallen on the ground. “I am free. I didn’t do it. It was Reilly.” She confessed smiling. She would be leaving this horrid place. She hugged her aunt and cried with her “I’ll be here tomorrow to pick you up.” Her aunt said still hugging her.

I think it is great.