Student Club Advisor | Teen Ink

Student Club Advisor

By The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Hello there. My name is Hideyoshi Hikuro. I’m 177 cm tall, I wear glasses, and I’m a Second-Year at Oichi Highschool. As you probably guessed from the name, this school was once all-female. But a few years ago, back when I was in Middleschool, the school finally became Co-Ed, and in an attempt to bring in more male students, they offered college scholarships to the top 5 male students at their school. My family’s pretty tight on cash, and since this school already had a good record, they signed me up. I’ve done my very best at this school, and I’m really proud of the work I’ve accomplished. But anyways, you probably want me to get to the main story.

Okay then. Technically the story started back during the beginning of my second year here at Oichi Highschool. I had gotten my shoe-locker assigned and was trying to find it when I noticed a really short girl standing on her toes. More specifically, she was trying to reach the locker that she had apparently been assigned, but she couldn’t really reach it. Looking around, I spotted my shoe locker, and it was pretty low, so I walked up to the girl and started a conversation.

“Hi there,” I waved to her.

“Ah, ahhhh,” the girl jumped up and then stumbled in surprise. “Hello.”

“Um, my shoe locker is over there,” I pointed over to where mine was. “So if you’re having trouble with reaching your shoe locker, I’ll be happy to trade with you.”

“Um, really?” the girl bowed her head nervously.

“Sure,” I grinned. “I don’t mind.”

The girl looked at me for a moment, and then gave a big smile. “Thank you,” she said.

“No problem. My name’s Hideyoshi Hikuro,” I bowed in greeting. “Might I ask your name too?”

“My name’s Rie Miyazawa,” the girl bowed. “It’s very nice to meet you.”

“Same here,” I said.

Since then, because Miyazawa-san and I arrived at school around the same time, we would get into short conversations every morning, and we soon struck up a friendship. She was sort of a ditz, but she was also really charming, and she had this sort of disarming kindness about her that made up for her lack of brains. Pretty soon, she became the first friend I made at this school.

“Huh? What about me?” Masamune Maeda whined when I told him about Miyazawa-san.

“I met you in Middleschool,” I explained to him as I set my bag down on my desk. “You just followed me because you wanted to keep me around.”

“Fair enough,” Masamune-dono grinned. Masamune-dono has been my best friend ever since Middleschool. He’s got a pretty well-off family, so he doesn’t need a scholarship like me. But he wanted to follow me because we were such good friends, so he joined me as I went into Oichi Highschool. He’s gay, by the way. And no, I’m not his boyfriend.

So anyways, that was sort of a prologue to the real beginning of the story, which started while I was managing papers for the Student Council. I once had a part-time job, but I eventually quit it last year to join the Student Council, because I thought that I could really help the school out. But really, because I was the only First-Year there, and because the Student Council already had a lot of members, I became more of a gofer than anything else. I had hoped that once my Second Year came around, I would get more respect, but really I kept my old position. “Sigh”

Anyways, I was sorting papers because I was the only one in the room there besides the Student Council President, Yuuko Kojima. If I were to describe her in one word, it’d probably be…unorthodox. I mean, you never really knew whether she was a genius, a fool, or just not paying attention. She was examining me closely as I managed papers, and it was starting to creep me out.

“Hikuro-chan,” she drawled. (Why was she drawling?) “I think someday you’ll make a fine Student Council President. You just have such a knack for filing papers.”

“Um, thank you, Madam President,” I said, not really knowing how to respond. “But could you not call me Chan? I’m in Highschool.”

“True, true,” she noted. “But really, I think that one day you’ll be able to become a great asset to the Student Council.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” I smiled, this time genuinely thankful.

“Just keep doing what you’re doing,” Kojima-sama grinned.

“Right,” I went back to filing papers.

Just then, the door burst open to have a girl run into the room. Once I got a good look at the girl, I realized that it was Miyazawa-san. She was panting, and it looked like she was about to cry.

“Do you have the form ready?” Kojima-sama didn’t look directly at Miyazawa-san, but I assumed that she was talking to her.

“Nooooooo,” Miyazawa-san moaned. She looked miserable. “I got the required number of members, but I can’t find any teacher to supervise us!”

“Did you ask all the teachers?” Kojima-sama continued not to look directly at Miyazawa-san.

“Yeeeeees,” Miyazawa-san moaned again. “But they all said that they were busy, and that I should come back later.”

“You really should be more assertive, Miyazawa-san,” I sighed. “You have a tendency to give up after only a little bit of resistance.”

“But…but…but I-“ Miyazawa-san was on the verge of tears.

“You remember that the deadline is today, don’t you?” Kojima-sama finally looked directly at Miyazawa-san.

“Yes,” Miyazawa-san bowed her head.

“But you just can’t find an advisor,” Kojima-sama turned her head away again.

Miyazawa-san whimpered.

I felt really bad for Miyazawa-san. I didn’t really know her apart from our morning talks, but I knew that she was a sweet girl. Whatever sort of club she was forming, I knew that she must have put her heart and soul into making it. For it to all end just because she couldn’t find an advisor, I had to admit, it was pretty sad. Maybe if-

“Well, that settles it,” Kojima-sama interrupted my thoughts. “Hikuro-chan here will just have to be your advisor.”

“EHHH!!!” Miyazawa-san and I both exclaimed.

“Wait, Student Council President,” I got up. “What are you saying?”

“Yeah, don’t we need a teacher to advise us?” Miyazawa-san was just as shocked as I was.

“Student Clubs and Club Activities are within the jurisdiction of the Student Council,” Kojima-sama didn’t look at either of us. “Therefore, I can assign an advisor to you if you cannot find one yourself. Besides, this’ll be good training for Hikuro-chan before he become Student Council President.”

“B-but…I don’t know if I can do that,” I felt really nervous. What did advisors really do, exactly? I had never really thought about that.

“Miyazawa,” Kojima-sama turned to the girl. “Do you approve of my choice?”

“Um…” Miyazawa-san looked confused. “I guess so.”

“Hey!” I shouted, but Kojima-sama cut me off.

“Then it’s settled,” Kojima-sama smiled. “Hikuro-chan will become your advisor, and your club gets to be formed.”

“Alright!” Miyazawa-san looked ecstatic. “Thank you, Student Council President!”

I sighed, knowing that I had lost the battle. What was going to happen now?

“You still have to fill out the paperwork,” Kojima-sama warned Miyazawa-san.

“Right!” Miyazawa-san straightened. “I’ll go to the Club Room to fill it out immediately!”

“Take Hikuro-chan with you,” Kojima-san glanced in my direction. “He should get to know the rest of the Club members.”

“Right!” Miyazawa-san grabbed my hand and dragged me out the door. I guessed that I had no choice in the matter. Oh well, might as well get used to it, I decided.

“So, what kind of Club is this, Miyazawa-san?” I asked.

“It’s a Poetry Club, and stop being so formal all the time. We’ve known each other awhile now. If you’re going to use my last name, then you don’t have to use an honorific,” Miyazawa-san seemed to be scolding me.

“B-but,” I got really nervous whenever I didn’t use honorifics with people’s names.

“Well, here we are,” Miyazawa-san stopped in front of a door which I assumed led into the Clubroom. “Let’s greet the other members. Although, you should know that Miori-chan came down with a cold, so she isn’t here today.”

“Okay, so how many other members do you have besides her?” I asked.

“Just two, we only got the minimum requirement of members to join,” and with that, Miyazawa-san opened the door.

What awaited me there was a surprise, although in hindsight it probably should have been expected. I saw two girls, one sitting in a chair reading a tankoobon, and the other looking out the window. As I walked in, they both looked up in surprise. Wait…the intricacies in my mind suddenly started moving. These two members were girls. Miyazawa-san had mentioned a Miori-chan, who was also a girl. And since Miyazawa-san was obviously a girl, I realized then that I was the only guy there. I suddenly broke out into a cold sweat. What if these girls thought that I was some sort of pervert who only joined to get some eye-candy? What if I became just a third wheel on their club activities, since I was a guy? What if they all hated me? This was bad.

“Hey everybody!” Miyazawa-san bounded in. “I talked with the Student Council President, and she let us use one of the Student Council Members as our Advisor. This is Hideyoshi Hikuro.”

“Um…um, it’s n-nice to m-meet you all,” I very nervously bowed. I felt like one wrong move would get me slapped.

“Um, hello,” the girl at the window bowed, a bit perplexed but otherwise unnerved. “My name is Haruka Ooshima. It’s nice to meet you.”

“I’m Sayaka Matsushita,” the other girl didn’t get up but gave me a nod to acknowledge my presence. She immediately went back to reading her manga.

“Let’s all try to get along, okay?” Miyazawa-san beamed. “I need to fill out the paperwork, so you guys just talk.”

Oh cr*p! That was the one thing I had hoped Miyazawa-san wouldn’t do. I started sweating even more, and I was surprised nobody asked if I had a gland problem.

As I looked around at the two girls, one confused and the other uninterested, I realized that I was in way over my head. Please let this all work out, I prayed.

Hey there everyone. I know it's been awhile since I last posted anything here. I got really upset at Teen Ink after the screwy anti-chronological posting of my Earl of Zerces chapters and the rejection of my article on abortion. But now I'm back! I'm sorry for harboring a grudge, Teen Ink. I just wrote this one afternoon after watching a lot of K-On!, and it's really more of a premise/experiment than anything. It probably won't be any good, but hey, I have to write something bad sometime or another. And as is normally the case, if there's anything salvageable from this, then it's up to you readers to tell me what those salvageable parts are. Please enjoy, and please comment!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Right. Thesaurus. got it. Thanks!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Hm, I always thought that giving the reader a little bit of what the narrator personally thought kept the text from getting two dry and added an amount of realism, since that's how normal people think. But I see what you're saying.

Randomscreennamelalalala PLATINUM, Bonney Lake, Washington

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

But then again, that's just one girls oppinon. (-:

-Albert Einstein

The whole introduction made me wince. No offece, but as a genreal rule, don't start a story with 'hello there". 
Making the narrator 'talk' with the audience only really works with comedy. In the future, try to make it more like the narrator is thinking to him/herself, and we are just listening in. 

TheWordSmith SILVER, Placerville, California
You had a nice beginning, it instantly connected me with the characters! One suggestion I'd have is to use a thesaurus to spruce up your vocabulary throughout the piece. Good job!

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

This actually is the beginning of a story. I just wrote this on sort of a whim and decided after reading it over that I wanted to develop it more and so I posted it to see what people thought would be good ideas on what I could do to do said developing with the characters and story. I actually did write a resolustion to this, I should probably post that as well. And as for the Earl of Zerces, the thing with that was that I hadn't posted anything on here in awhile, and I didn't want to make poeple think that I had stopped writing because I was writing that, so I posted the chapters. Of course, you know what happened with that.

GeeGi BRONZE said...
GeeGi BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Being crazy isn't enough.”
― Dr. Seuss

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
― Dr. Seuss

I really liked this :)! It's an interesting and original plot. It does seem a little incomplete though, like it's the begining of something else.  Over all, great story!

Austin42 SILVER, Carlsbad, California

"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."
-Jim Morrison

Is this meant to be part of a larger story? I like the narrative style, but the story feels incomplete, like it's only the beginning of a book. I think it could turn out quite good if you continue the story. 

By the way, if you wanted your Earl of Zerces chapters in order you should have submitted it as a book.