The Thread | Teen Ink

The Thread MAG

By Aliza Gans BRONZE, Woodbridge, Connecticut
Aliza Gans BRONZE, Woodbridge, Connecticut

The knitting club meets at the women’s center every ­Friday. Today they are working on ­pastel-colored baby socks.

The women clink metal needles and grumble about their husbands, ex-husbands, and rheumatic pets.

“Charlie forgot to take out the recycling yesterday. The trash man had to come into my house because I have such a cold, and he smelled like stale beer.”

The lady with silvery hair draws the curtains ­embroidered with peacocks. Pale light floods the cream-wallpapered parlor.

“The sky looks like rain. Maybe we’ll get a ­thunderstorm if the wind picks up. I’m terrified of storms at night – when the sky bursts like a Polaroid camera.”

The lady who likes to knit in yellow brings in her record player every week. She plays vinyl recordings of Chopin, Dizzy Gillespie, and during the winter, Dean Martin’s Christmas carols.

“This week we have Chopin’s Concerto No. 2, but there’s a scratch right after the first movement.”

They sip black-as-shoe-polish coffee from tiny porcelain cups until their tight buns uncoil into soft, ash-colored curls.

“It’s too weak today. Too watery.”

The lady with silvery hair pulls out twisted strands from her scalp and weaves them into each row of the sock pattern.

“I want my grandbaby to know what I smelled like when I’m gone.”

simplyinferior GOLD, Ottawa, Illinois
I agree! This is the story you ponder over

Suhaima said...
Suhaima, Lol, Other
Pulled it together, much like a thread. haha. 

jailene BRONZE said...
jailene BRONZE, Dorchester, Massachusetts
The ending gets you thinking. I love it!

CammyS SILVER said...
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

I went into the story not expecting to like it, but you really took me by surprise. It was really touching.

KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

So glad you got published for this! I have never read anything that deserves it more!

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
This is quiet and yet full of emotion- I love how understated everything is. The last line is beautiful.

Trixy14 said...
Trixy14, St.pete, Florida

"A man who dares to waste one hour of his life, has not discovered the value of life." -Charles R. Darwin (Wicked smart scientist)

I can tell that you really know what you're doing. You put effort into it.  This story is short yet simple and thought-provoking. Truly inspiring.

awensman95 SILVER, Alexandria, Minnesota

"All dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

Your imagery and wording is awesome! 

zadiekatie23 PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

The conciseness of this made it enjoyable to read. It's always funny to hear grumbling old people, even if it's on paper(or screen). I thought the last line was sad, but it did pull it together. Thanks!

Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Cool! I don't know how people manage to get so much into so few words, I always have trouble saying what I want to in 1000 words for contests! The last line is both scary and thought-provoking. Wow. Great job.

xxEbonyxx SILVER, McKinney, Texas

Take me as I am

This was a very good article. I have to say, I creeped me out a bit, but that's the best part.

Krikette BRONZE, Sunnyvale, California

"Very refreshing, unique topic". I agree. 

Well written over all. The last two lines are especially poignant.

Nerdygal19 BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois

"Move on. It's just a chapter in the past. But don't close the book, just turn the page."

Excellent point! It was very interesting! Beautifully written!

rubyrainstorm SILVER, Closter, New Jersey

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
-Buddha.

It was a cute article. I just wish you could focus more on one grandma. Maybe you could say that one of them was different. One of them didn't complain, just concentrated on her knitting. That would help the reader connect with the characters more. But otherwise, it was a beautifully written piece. Very refreshing, and a unique topic. Hope to hear more from you! 8)

SongAway BRONZE, Burton-Upon-trent, Other

"I need to find me a quote"??

This story doesn't conform to the normal layout which makes it really refreshing. I like how you've played on the old women knitting and moaning theme, it made me laugh. It's short and simple and made me smile at the end. This story shouldn't really work, it amazingly does though. Woah, well done.

Elizabeth_Day SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington
That's a really good point.  I wondered what it was about too, but now that I think about it, I'll remember this story because of it's different feel.  The drifting isn't so much aimless, as it is relaxed.  Very much like knitting.  :)

Meli14 BRONZE said...
Meli14 BRONZE, Othello, Washington

"god is love, and love is real"

I Am Free Read please!Rate thanks(:

RhiannonB BRONZE, Taos, New Mexico

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

-Albert Einstein

I agree. The author knows how to add the unexpected. Very nice piece.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

This is so sad and beautiful, I just love it!!Check out some of my writing if you have time!

coly33 BRONZE said...
coly33 BRONZE, Lyndhurst, New Jersey

aww i love the last line i wasnt expecting that when i was reading the other parts it was just refreshing to read this and also very sad

:)