I Am Tomorrow | Teen Ink

I Am Tomorrow

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

I am a scribe. Letters bend and break at the flick and twist of my hand. I can destroy worlds that I create. I am a master, peasant, cat, and viewer. I know everything, nothing, and am still trying to figure things out. I am a writer, I shall keep legends alive, memories forever, and will always have secrets.

I am a craftsman. I capture souls and hearts and place them carefully on paper, in clay, and every other material imaginable. I see colors and shapes that don’t exist. I find the mysteries of the earth and heavens. I am an artist, I’ll hold onto beauty, let lovely things escape, and always apprehend life.

I am a healer. I banish illness away and I bring people to themselves. I have chased away death, battled monsters and I have won. I make people relax and rest with a small gesture and pill. I whisper to them at night telling them things that dry their tears. I am a nurse, I will restore things, return the soul, and always save the ones I can.

I am a warrior. Lands and seas remain safe under my firm watch and steady patrol. I struggle against exploding evil and whizzing metal darts. I never run, never leave another behind, and never give up. I am a soldier, I will never loose, I will always beat evil, and I will always guard the ones I love.

I am a traveler. My footprints are plastered on every corner of the world. I’ve seen things from a point of view that no one can believe. I can move faster than the wind and sound. I am a pilot, I will always cross the ocean, I will always look birds in the eye, and I will never fall.

I am an explorer. I go where the world ends and come back. I see earth, so small. I’ve been away from you but I always watch you. I am an astronaut, I will hear what shooting stars whisper, I will breathe air where there isn’t any, and I will study the sun as it warms my old home.

I am a treasure hunter. I find things more precious than rubies and gems. I uncover forgotten pasts. I reveal the earth’s old friends. I am an archeologist, I will discover my ancestors, I will keep history alive, and I will uproot beasts that surely were once dragons.

I am a wizard. I cast spells of illusions over the watcher’s eyes. I bring unicorns, mammoths, zombies and vampires back to life. I can drag you back in time or whisk you into the future. I am a movie director; I blow things away, flood cities and can build castles in the sky.

I am an apprentice. I search for my path. Do I want to save others, bring them joy, or help them go into new exciting things? Do I want to do something new or what my parents perform? I am a child, I am tomorrow, I am the fate of the world and I have to choose.

MayaS. BRONZE said...
MayaS. BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
This was really pretty! My favorite line was the explorer's: "I will hear what shooting stars whisper, I will breathe air where there isn't any." This piece could almost be a poem and would be something great for a spoken recitation.

NavyCopperQuill, Blank, New Jersey

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

I love the way this is planned out. It gave me something to think about. Great job! :)

-John Erslcine

Aw darn it. WHere at? I'd like to correct them.

Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

This gives me a whole new perspective on having to grow up and get a life someday! It's so brilliant, though. I noticed a few grammatical errors, but that's all. :)

bwriter24 said...
You have a lot of talent! Beautifully written.

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

THis is well written, and it's a cool idea. :D  Thanks for sharing this.

-John Erslcine

Thank you!  :D

Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado
Wow! This was a stunning piece, and should have made it to the magazine.

Lady_Teribithea GOLD, LaPorte, Colorado

-John Erslcine

Thank you! :D

thegoldenllama BRONZE, Cupertino, California

猿も木から落ちる。

Very nicely written! :) I love the various perspectives fom the healer, the wizard, to the movie director. haha I agree movie directors do blow things away and flood cities :D I think this would also work really well as a poem, perhaps a few rhymes here and there, and it would be perfect-o as thee poem! Anyways, great job! 5/5

-John Erslcine

Thank you :)

MattTruelove SILVER, Belton, Texas

"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allan Poe

I like this work. Very good job. Keep it up.

-John Erslcine

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Atl.Braves03 BRONZE, Tampa, FL, Florida

God is God and I am not
I can only see a part
Of this picture he's painting
God is God and I am man
I will never understand
Because only God is God

Wow, this was amazing. I liked how each parapraph introduced an aspect of the person (a writer I think) and then expounded on it. 

-John Erslcine

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it and thanks for commenting and rating! I'd be happy to look at some of your works too. :)

Emily_Greene GOLD, Spring Valley, California
Very good. Curious philosophical wording that makes the reader wonder and gives them things to relate to through the multiple examples. A dreamy tone keeps your attention. Keep up the good work. 5/5 stars. Congratulations on the Editor's Choice. I hope you'll check out my work too.