The Exam Day | Teen Ink

The Exam Day

By BDAIndra SILVER, Denpasar, Other
BDAIndra SILVER, Denpasar, Other

'God gave you brain, Use it well.' My Teacher

The small coffee table keeps thudding on the floor, sending ripples of movement to my foot, and I sit rigidly on the tall wooden chairs. The smell of coffee wafts through my nose, cold but sweet. The warm light covers all corners of the cafe, blinding my sleepy eyes. I can hear the baristas scream orders of Venti, tall and grande, ruining the relaxing atmosphere. I reached for my cup of hot chocolate, a steam masked my face as I sipped my drink through a weird thin straw. It felt tough. “ Ouch!” I cried as the drink scorched my tongue.

Until now, i had never set foot on the wood tile floor of a Starbuck’s cafe, or lay a finger on the overly priced coffee in a cheap printed paper cup. It felt awkward, sitting on a lonely corner, a textbook in one hand, the paper cup in another. Fighting the soothing gush of wind coming from the AC, urging me to sleep I flip through the pages. My watery eyes, fooling my vision, blurring it, then black. No light. Just darkness.

I barge through the bathroom, my hands furiously splashing water from the basin onto my face. “Tomorrow, tomorrow! Come on just until tomorrow.” I mumbled.

It stings me, and the pain shoots through my temples, like a suicide shot. It appears that in my daze, I had fallen on the bathroom tiles. This will surely keep me awake, for quite a while. Stumbling, I slowly limp outside, back to my seat, my textbook and chocolate.

At first break of dawn, I head towards my school. It was the day. It was the time for examinations, and I did not want to be late. Walking briskly, I quickly headed to the road, before getting into the first cab within sight.

I arrived just in time, the invigilators rushed me into the room. My heart still throbbing from all the hustling and rush.
As the door closed, i felt the air getting thicker, warmer. The atmosphere felt tense, suffocating. Droplets of sweat started to covering my skin. I could feel the pain shooting through my head, back again.

Unwillingly I dragged my ponder some foot to the plain scarlet, amber, oak desk. A plain white paper lay on top of it. A pen too. My hand froze, before roboticly moving the chair to sit on. My eyes felt warm, and seemed to bulge out of their sockets. My head felt light, and the paper in front of me seemed to move further away from me. I reached for it with my quivering hands, but my hands felt short, it could not reach it. Further and further away, the paper went.

Then I heard a distinct squeaky ring, time was up. A hand collected the paper and all i could do was watch it go away.

I felt a lump in my throat and I could feel a rumbling in my stomach, I didn’t do well and I knew that. The awful feeling of failure haunted me and all I could do was weep in the dark, empty examination room.

A Random Writing, just an exaggerated fiction story of my experience during exams.