Promise | Teen Ink

Promise

By winterSNOWflake SILVER, Moore, Oklahoma
winterSNOWflake SILVER, Moore, Oklahoma

"30 years from now, it won't matter what your hair looked like, the kind of clothes you had, or whether you had a boyfriend at the time. What will matter is the kind of friends you made, and the choices that got you here."

The mind is a curious thing. It holds thoughts, memories, feelings, emotions, and lust. It is a never-ending cycle of thoughts and ideas, that never go away. It can come up with anything, pulling it things out of filing cabinets and drawers. It writes all the ideas together to create a fantasy, whatever you imagine. The lonely girl meets her true love in a dark-wooded forest. The man and wife are happily married in a tiny cottage, with two children. Or there are the nightmares, the remembrance of pain. You remember your family pet running away, never to be seen again. You recall how your grandmother died, not just two months ago. You concoct up a worst case-scenario, thinking of your worst fears, and then them coming true. I do all these things with my mind. However, I don’t always do this. In my mind, most of the time, I fight.
We can’t ever agree. We always disagree, never even coming to a compromise. I have trouble tossing out the bad ideas, and keeping the ones I should save. Every question and answer is either right or wrong. Black and white, hot and cold, yes and no; you get the picture. If I can’t even agree with myself, how will I figure out life’s big questions? How will I make the right decisions? Maybe my mind and I will never agree. We will always be adversaries, the two boxers in the ring, fighting until we finish. Or…we could agree, just once. We could agree, do amazing things. Together, we could cure cancer, become a world-known pianist, or even be in the U.S. Army. We could meet in the middle. The frog would turn into a prince, the princess will marry the man of her desire, the unlikely friends will surprise each other. All I can do is hope that it is possible, hope that one day we will both…no hoping isn’t good enough.
I promise.

I would like every one, when they read this, to think of a promise adn keep it.