Sighs | Teen Ink

Sighs

By Gasping_for_Air BRONZE, COLUMBIA, Maryland
Gasping_for_Air BRONZE, COLUMBIA, Maryland

“That’s always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they’re pretty. It’s like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste.”

John Green

Tears ripple through the still bath that her limp body lies in. Steam rises from the water to open each pore on her freckled face. Her back forming an arch over her body with her knees touching her chest. Sweat dripping from her cracked bleeding lips hits the water with the force of a tidal wave. A distant hum comes from a flickering light from above. Underwater the green grime sticks to the bottom of the cracked tub, needing something to hold on to. Like her. She levitates the worn yellow sponge over the purple figures on her pale arm. Squeezing the scolding clear liquid out she winces at the pain but shortly a sigh of relief escapes her mouth from the pleasure of feeling something, anything. Her heart jump-starts when a crash following a curse emerges from the room outside the beaten up wooden door. Trying to moisten her dry throat she attempts to swallow the little saliva in her mouth. Chocking on her own spit she lets out small coughs revealing her location. The room outside of the door falls silent for a moment then hurried footsteps draw closer to the door. She desperately wipes her face with her fragile hands trying to get rid of any evidence of tears. A loud creak followed by another fills the brisk air. She dare not look back for she fears tears and tears show fear. A rough hand snatches the sponges from her hand while the other hand brushes her thin hair from her back to hang over her shoulder. She shuts her eyes tights for she can feel the first tears starting to form in her ducts. The sponges move roughly and slowly down her back as she clutches the side of the tub causing her knuckles to become paler. She opens those cloudy blue eyes that release a spew of tears as the rough hands make their way to the markings on her back that were identical to ones on the hands. The sponge sinks back into the water followed by a creak and then another. She sighs.