Understanding the loving ones | Teen Ink

Understanding the loving ones

By Avatar@avatar BRONZE, Kochi, Other
Avatar@avatar BRONZE, Kochi, Other

'A small step for man, a great step for mankind'

It was chilly January evening when a baby girl was born. She had sweet face that reminded her parents about angel, so they named her as Angela Thomas.

The years have passed and the things have changed. Her parents Marina and Samuel are no longer together. Samuel is in the hurry of building his own business world, after the birth of his first child, Angela; have started to forget his family. On the other side things are getting worse on Marina, how much she tried to join her family together, it made them further repel. Things have become so worse that, she has dispersed her servants, started to sell gold ornaments and the family car, to live. Whenever she pleaded her husband for money to live, he ignored her. However he often got tried of Marina’s pleading, gave her some money. It was a relief for Marina. Marina, who stopped working after she married, started to go for work. The money she earned hardly met the end of the needs. She was often tried after doing the household and the job work, which she wasn't used to do.

In this atmosphere their child Angela grows. Marina, who loved her child than anything in this whole world, never let Angela to know her difficulties. She tried to give her child the life which other children of her age enjoyed. But in the eyes of Angela, her mother was the lady who kept her father away. However Marina never came to know about it. As Angela grows she became to addict to internet and other entertainments. She never tried to help her mother in the household chores. As time passes the contact of Marina with Angela became lesser. Angela started to hate her mother than anything in the world, when she heard the stories of her friends when they visited foreign countries. On the other hand Angela who have never had a trip to any sort of place, other than school trips, started make up the stories of the trips to Europe, America and Middle East. She sits in front of her computer all the time expect for time when she is at the school, church and a day before the exam when she studies the all portions for her exam and she earns respectable grades which makes her friends jealousy of her. Marina was worried about time Angela spent on internet as she always earned good grades, but Marina never realized that her own health was deteriorating.

It was the summer vacation before the classes started for IX standard. She woke up usually at 10am. She brushed her teeth, had a bath and went to dinning table to have the breakfast, but the breakfast was not there. Angela know that her mother usually leave the breakfast in the dinning table before she leave for her office. She checked the kitchen, but she was there, then she checked her bedroom, there she saw her mother sleeping. She tried to wake her mother up, but she did not wake up. She tried to feel her pulse, but she did not felt anything. She tried to feel her breathe, but nothing was there. She starred at her mother’s corpse, standing still. She felt emptiness in her, something great than missing internet, her school or friends is missed. She stood still for a long time, then she started to cry cursing herself for her mother’s death, but still she tried to wake her up’ it was no use. For the first time in her life she realized how much she have loved her mother deep in her heart. She does not know what to do, but she should do something. She picked up her mother’s phone and called her father, Samuel. Still weeping she said,
‘Papa, mum has died!’
‘Hello, whom I am speaking to?’
‘Papa, it is me Angela, your daughter.’
‘Angela, do you mean to say that Marina has died?’
‘Yes, papa’
‘Holly God! Angela be clam, I will come soon as possible, be the meantime I will sent someone to do necessary arrangements.’
‘Okay papa.’
Angela started to cry harder and she started wheezing. Samuel for the first time he realized what he had done to Marina. The lady sent by Samuel tried to control Angela's crying, but Angela never stopped. She saw her mother taken to the hospital. When the autopsy results came in, people came to know that Marina has died due to brain attack in mid-night. People whom she never meets before came to mourn in her mother’s death. She saw her mother in the coffin, buried. She did not eat anything for several days. But she kept on drinking water and weeping silently. She has finally realized the value of her mother. Her father tried to console her, but it did not help her.

*****

It was office of the district collector, in an evening, where Angela saw one her employers Maya, sleeping the desk, after the office hours.
‘Maya, it is time to go to the home’
‘Yes, madam I am going right away.’
‘You look so tried now a day, come to my home and have tea’
Even though first Maya tried to refuse, Maya comes to Angela’s house. In their chatting Angela Thomas, IAS came to realize that Maya was leading a life similar to her mother’s last days. Maya has a drunken husband and a boy of fourteen addicted to games and he so poor in his studies and he declared that he will runaway if he don’t receive one of the latest tabs. Curiously Angela gave Maya one of the latest tabs which is not even launched in the market. And Angela asked Maya to bring her fourteen year old child, Navneet to her office tomorrow evening.

Maya brings Navneet to her office at evening and Angela takes Navneet for an outing. At the park Angela broke the silence between them, by offering Navneet an ice-cream. Navneet usually would have said no, but as his mother said that Angela is a very respectable lady, Navneet takes the offer. And Angela started off-
‘Navneet, what do find about that tab?’
‘Really cool, my mother says that you have given her this tab, where did you get it? My friends say that this particular tab will be launched in the market only next week.’
‘You see, my father owns the Future Technologies Company, which is better known as Futu’
‘What! You must be joking; Futu produces one coolest computer’s, tabs, I-phones, I-pads, smart phones, 3-D games…’
‘You know, that is reason why you have received the latest Playboy tab a week before its launching and you know my father sends me all the Futu’s latest accessories before its launch ’
‘You mean to say that the Futu man, Sam Thomas is your dad? Oh god, you guys would be really rich’
‘It was one of the reason why I lose my mother and the reason why I became an IAS officer.’
‘What?’
‘IAS or Indian Administrative Service, my mother Marina, wanted me to become an IAS officer, but my dreams were different, until the day she died.’
She continued saying about her childhood, the stories about how she ignored her, how she hated her, the imaginary stories she told to her friends, the desire of her father to become a man who he is now, how he ignored her mother. At the end Angela told even though her mother’s autopsy says that brain attack, she believes that mother died because of her and her father’s behavior towards her, the days when she ate nothing cursing herself for her mother’s death. The decisions she made of not using internet and other entertaining stuff other than for important communication and her sole pledge to stick to the books. She came to America for a fresh start and as it is the center of her father’s business. The days she studied with aim to always become the topper, how hard the subject may be she had the confidence that she can defeat others but not the overconfidence that she is unbeatable. How she spend the sleepless nights for gaining the top scores in both her majors in Harvard University in Business Studies and History while she worked in part time job as a clerk in a law firm. Here she would finish her work in half of the time the others used to take. The employers gave her the pay raise after the first three months of her employment. She know that people would awe struck when they realize that she is the daughter of the legendary Futu man, Sam Thomas. So she never let the people to know that her father is Sam Thomas. But she never trusted her father after what happened with her mother. So she tried to save as much as money she could and created a secret account which her father doesn’t known in an Indian Bank so that when she returned to India she could become an IAS officer as she dreamed. The things she afraid of, had arrived at her final year in Harvard’s. Her father didn’t give her the annual allowance she usually received. But she kept on working as the clerk even in her final year. People tried to became friends with her, but they failed. She considered them equally and talked with them equally and everyone loved her humble behavior. When her friends asked for going out with them, but she said that she had to go for work, which was a perfect excuse and in the vacation she used to help the lawyers with their cases. She was waiting for the results and she read in the newspaper about the rumors that Future Technologies Company shows the sign of the collapse. Even though she did not love her father very much, she felt that she must help him, as her mother never hated him. She came in contact with her father, and realized the reason why she did not received her allowance. The board of the company has passed the rule that any cash transaction from the company should bear the sign of the whole board. The public did not know that she was his daughter. And now the board says that if Mr. Thomas does not have any heir for the company, he has to divide the Company among its board members. In his speech to the board meeting next time, he introduced his daughter. The Board members were furious and they asked for a DNA test and the results became positive. The Board members became surprised as it was the day when Harvard results came out and I was the one whom happens to defeat one of the ambitious Board members sons whom was in same batch of mine in Business Studies. That was the moment when her father was flushed with joy and pride and from that day she received the Futu products before its market launch.

In the end Angela saw Navneet eyes filled with water and he said-
‘Madam, I was treating my mother just as you treat your mother. I want to change, madam’
‘It is never late; you can change, like I changed.’
Navneet told Angela about how he had bet with his friends about new playboy tab’s features with 10,000 rupees. And Angela asked Navneet to give that money to his mother, Maya and said that it will be really helpful for her. Navneet asked Angela about how he can stop his father from drinking. And with smile she said that she will work it out. At the end when she dropped Navneet at home in night, he said that he will become a good boy as his mother wanted him and if Angela helps him, he will really work hard to become an IAS officer, as his mother wants him to be and left the latest Playboy tab in her car seat.

In this fast going world, many people forgets to love their dear ones. It is an fictional story to understand the value of the people whom they love

ancy said...
Very good, Thank you Bhavya to understating the young people.