She's Gone | Teen Ink

She's Gone

By Firefaerie SILVER, Austin, Texas
Firefaerie SILVER, Austin, Texas

"Do not pity the dead. pity the living, and above all, those who live without love" - J.K Rowling
"There's always another secret" -Brandon Sanderson

I was up in my tree when my older sister came up to me and told me that...that my other half was...gone. The one that i could tell anything to was gone from this world, and I couldn't do anything about it...
..."You'll never catch me," the 10 year old me cried.
"Oh, yes I will," my twin, Lyssa, called back.
I quickly skittered up a tree and sat down on a branch, giving my sister a triumphant smile, "how about now"
"That's not fair," she said, stomping her foot,"you know I'm afraid of heights."
"Come on, it's not so bad," i reached down and she reluctantly took my hand.
little did we know that this tree would soon be a home to our laughs, tears, and imaginations.
"See," I said, motioning out to the horizon, the sun was starting to set, "it's pretty"
"Yeah... i guess it is"...
..."I had a dream last night," Lyssa said. we were up in our tree, me reading, she was drawing. i marked the page in my book,"what was it about?" she had interesting dreams and frequently told me about them.
her face was solemn,"Well, it was really about me, at least not much,it was about you. i was in a car crash and I-" her voice broke,"I died. After that you got all depressed, and you slowly withered away. until you died, too.
i didn't know what to say, she had started crying.
"Please," she grabbed my arm," promise me that if something happens to me, you won't give up on life. Promise!" the urgency in her voice astounded me. i was only able to mutter: "i promise"...
... I opened my eyes to feel hot tears on my cheeks, and find that it was sunset.
just like the first day we had started spending time in our tree. I would keep my promise.
i wish that i could here her call me to pull her up. i couldn't help but expect to hear it.
But I never would.
Now, all I have of her are memories, and my, no, our tree.
As i began to cry, wind began to whistle through the leaves. It seemed like the tree was lending its own harmony of sorrow to its lost companion.

This just came to my head. Note: THIS IS NOT TRUE. Thank God it's not.

half.note said...
half.note, Edmonton, Alberta
Wow. Very beautiful. I can really relate. My sister is my best friend and I don't know what I'd do if I lost her... My only critique is that sometimes the sentence structure and punctuation seemed awkward, but your message still came through. Good job. :)

Firefaerie SILVER, Austin, Texas

thanks man, im glad you liked it :)

BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

This is an excellent story. I can feel the emotion in it. My only critique is that you need to work on capitalization and puncutation. Other then that, good work. I'd like to read more from you.