My Savoir | Teen Ink

My Savoir

By hannahbanana999 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey
hannahbanana999 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.” - Jack Handey

I was in a very dark place a few years back. I was in my senior year of college I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was about to graduate and I had no plans for the future. I didn’t have very many friends and my social life was less than desirable. I was frustrated – my college years were supposed to be the best ones, but instead I was alone and barley passing my classes. My parents never called and I wasn’t a part of any groups – I was sure that no one would care if I disappeared. I decided that I would walk to the Brooklyn Bridge from my dorm room and if one person stopped me to say hello, or even just smiled at me – I wouldn’t jump. It was a long walk, but it didn’t matter. I just needed someone worth living for. So, I bundled up against the chilly New York air and started walking. I must have passed a thousand people in the first hour of my journey and not one person acknowledged my existence. I had passed a few acquaintances, and nothing. I bumped into an ex-girlfriend, and nothing. I must have walked by 30 hot dog carts and I couldn’t even raise a smile from one of the vendors. I was quite sure that no one cared about me – not one bit. I walked and walked and walked and felt nothing but numbness. Then, as the bridge came into sight, someone on bike pedaled past. “Good morning!” She chimed. Is it? I thought, thinking about what I was going to do. Then I remembered the rules for this endeavor. One person. The greeting was nothing special, nor particularly personal, as she probably said that to everyone she saw, but it was enough. I stopped in my tracks and turned back around.
I graduated college in the spring of ’09 with my parents in the audience and a smile on my face. And after we threw are caps, people came to me to say goodbye. Sentimental girls flung their arms around me with sayings of “I miss you” and “keep in touch” while several guys shook my hand and slapped me on the back with sayings of “we did it” and “good luck”. I had been wrong. People did care about me. And what if I had jumped, I would have just been one of those sob stories in the newspaper that people read and say “what a shame” and then move on with their lives. Thanks to that girl, whoever she was, I am still here today. I’m married with a baby boy on the way and I was recently promoted with in the company of my dreams. I can finally say that I’m happy, but I wouldn't be if it wasn't for that biker. So if you’re reading this, thank you. You saved me.

8/8