Everything can end well | Teen Ink

Everything can end well

May 15, 2013
By WingedSilhouette13 BRONZE, Pennsauken, New Jersey
WingedSilhouette13 BRONZE, Pennsauken, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people, being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind."- Taylor Swift
"No matter how bad things are, you can always make things worse."- Randy Pausch


Military officer Andrew Schmishinger parked his car, a silver Subaru Impreza, in front of 173 Sea Breeze avenue. He took a breath of the crisp Cape Cod air and shut the car door. Andrew had never enjoyed his job, telling families of missing, killed, injured, or family members who were taken prisoner. But work was work and he knew he was lucky to have a job.

The Revels’ house was a traditional cape, a one to two story home with weathered shingles, on a half acre lot. A lamp stood beside the drive way with a sign hanging from it reading: 173- The Revels. A well kept lawn was decorated with a small flower bed by the door. Smoke was coming from the chimney. No one inside the Revels’ home; Kataya, Mark, Maya, or Will, was expecting a visitor. It was just a typical evening.

Andrew walked up the stone steps and knocked on the door. He admired the well kept home and its welcoming feel. He was surprised to see a few lingering lilac blooms. The elegant green door opened and an average height woman with dark auburn hair stood. She looked surprised to see him.

“Mrs. Revels,” he said.

“Yes, that’s me,” Kataya Revels replied.

“I have brought some….bad news,” Andrew started. “Your daughter, Carter, has…disappeared, she’s missing in action.” The look on Kataya’s face terrified Andrew. He had never seen so much emotion on a single face.

“Missing in action, you mean she’s lost...Gone?” she asked quietly.

“Yes, the last they saw of her, she was going around a bend to get a soldier. There was a short-,” Kataya cut him off.

“I know of the shortage and that Carter volunteered.” They were both silent for a couple minutes.

“Kat, who’s at the door? You’re going to burn the noodles,” called her husband, Mark. Kataya sighed.

“It’s, a military officer. And if the noodles are going to burn, you stir them,” she shouted in her warm Cape Cod accent. She heard him stand and walk, turning up at her side, one hand on her right shoulder. “Carter’s MIA.”

“Oh my, when? Are they searching for her?” he asked worry obvious in his voice.

“Well, of course they’re searching for her, and she went missing yesterday.” Kataya answered.

Andrew stood still in the door way and shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

“Thanks for coming to tell us, I think it’s a bit easier than having it come in a letter,” thanked Kataya with Mark nodding in agreement.

Andrew walked back to his car. It seemed to have gotten much colder during the time of the visit. Hands shaking, he turned the heat on and drove away. He still couldn’t shake the image of Kataya Revels’ face from his head.

Back at the Revels’ house, Kataya was trying her best to act “normal”. She rescued the noodles just before they burnt, and finished dinner, baked ziti, by 6:07pm. The news of Carter’s disappearance was not the new she needed. Two weeks ago, Kataya’s uncle, Charles Knomer, had died of a sudden heart attack. Charles had acted as a father to Kataya, hers having died when she was two. Neither Kataya nor Mark wanted to break the news to their two other children, 16 year old Maya, and 14 year old Will. But Kataya had gotten, after much begging and reasoning, Mark to agree to do it.

Kataya placed four plates on the table and called out for Maya and Will. Half way through dinner, after a nod from Kataya, Mark spoke.

“Maya, William,” he began. Will looked uneasy, knowing it had to be something bad if his father wasn’t using his nick name. “Your mother and I received some…unsettling news about your sister. She has been recognized as an MIA.” Both Maya and Will looked stunned and were speechless. They looked from their father’s almost blank face to their mother’s now tear stained face.
***

Very late that night, Kataya sat on the edge of her bed looking through a box of letters and printed emails from Carter. Tears ran down her pale face and dripped onto the papers. She set down another letter and pulled out an envelope with and odd lump near the left side. Kataya pulled out the blue lined paper and opened it.
November 25th



























10:39 pm
Dear Mom and Dad and Maya and Will,

Happy Thanksgiving! Everything’s great here, I’ve been promoted to be able to care for some of the more critically injured. We’re expecting a shortage of collectors, so I signed up to be a volunteer. Tomorrow is the training session. This week we’ve had less injured. Though if you were here, Mom, you would be appalled at what we consider less than usual.

I hope I can make it back for the funeral, thanks a million for convincing evil Aunt Matilda to make it later. I still can’t believe he is gone. Uncle was only 65, right? So sorry Mom. I know I will be back for Christmas, on the 23rd if the flight doesn’t get cancelled or postponed.

I miss all of you (that includes Will:)) sooooo much and I can’t wait to see you all again!
Love,
Carter R.
This rock was given to me by Captain Marx. I hope you guys like, it’s supposed to have healing powers.

The letter had been the most recent. Kataya picked up the gold stone and rubbed it between her thumb and finger. She could feel the bed beginning to shake as she cried. Kataya jumped as Mark placed an arm around her. He took the rock from her palm and turned it around in his hand.

“Strange rock,” he commented. Kataya nodded and looked up at Mark. She was surprised to see tears in his dark hazel eyes. Mark rarely cried, and really, rarely meant never. One tear slid down his face as he read a letter. Kataya reached up and wiped hit off.
***

Maya sat reading in one of the leather chairs in the living room. She hadn’t been able to face the world and disappeared for the day into her books. She wasn’t responding to any of the emails her friends sent. After finishing the third book, Maya stood and walked slowly upstairs, knowing she couldn’t put off telling her friends forever.
Three weeks later

Andrew Schmishinger drove up the now familiar Sea Breeze Avenue. He parked, for the second time in three weeks, in front of house 173. The house looked exactly the same, minus the blooming lilacs and plus Christmas decorations. He knocked on the door and Kataya answered. First recognition flashed through her eyes Siberian husky blue eyes and then fear.

“Mrs. Revels, I come with good news this time,” Andrew reassured.

“Has, Has Carter been found?” Kataya asked, voice quivering.

“Yes, she had been captured, but managed to get herself out. She only sustained minor injuries,”

“Can, will she be home for Christmas?”

“We think so. Nothing damaged her brain or any other important organ. Just her hand”

“Her hand?” Kataya looked alarmed.

“Her wrist broke pretty badly, but they’re able to save it,” Andrew replied. “Her flight will get in at 7pm on the 23rd.”

“Alright, thanks, bye,”

Kataya shut the door and shrieked with delight. She ran into the living room and hugged each of her children and Mark, completely surprising them. They stared at her in awe, since Carter’s disappearance, Kataya had lost her general happiness and sense of humor.

“Kat, what happened?” asked Mark, as he continued to look down at her in surprise.

“Carter’s been found. She’ll be back for Christmas,” Kataya’s voice was shaking from excitement.

“Oh. My. God,” he replied, as small smile forming on his face.
***

Kataya, Mark, Maya, and Will sat, at 9:30pm, still waiting for Carter. Kataya was incessantly tapping her foot, nervous. Will had fallen asleep. Time passed slowly. At 10:30, she sent Will and Maya up stairs with the promise of “She’ll be here in the morning”. Hours passed and no sign of Carter. Kataya was slowly losing hope.

The door opened and Carter Revels stepped into her house, smiling her signature bright smile. Kataya ambushed her, hugging her tightly and crying. Her mother took in her daughter’s new appearance, her dark auburn hair reaching half way down her back and a cast on her wrist. Carter walked through each room of the house, her eyes lighting up at the improved kitchen. After examining the house, Carter sat next to her parents on the couch and began telling them everything from her adventure.