My Miracle | Teen Ink

My Miracle

I went to the barn. I went to the barn to feed my daughter's horse, but instead I lay here on the ground in excruciating pain.
Why am I in so much pain?
Who did this to me?
I can't remember for the life of me.
I try to open my mouth to yell for help when I realize that my mouth isn't responding. My hand goes to feel my mouth to find that my jaw is in an unnatural position. It’s broken. I poke them and then I let out a scream. Well I'm not doing that again, I think to myself.
I look around and see the bucket I had been carrying, laying on the ground near the gate, with the grain spilled everywhere. I scoot over towards the gate and grab the bottom pole and start to pull myself up.
Black spots dance around my vision and a vague scene starts to unfold in my mind, but before I could see what I remember I see a man coming in my direction.
"Oh my God, Connie. Are you alright?"
By then I'm standing, learning against the pole to keep my balance. I am in so much pain. I grit my teeth to keep hiss of pain from escaping my lips.
I look over at him and feel a shiver run down my spine. I know I know him, and seeing him should make me feel relieved because someone has found me, but instead I feel nauseous and the hairs on the back of my neck are standing tall.
Why am I so afraid of this guy?
I scrunch my eyebrows together thinking really hard but coming up with absolutely nothing, I sigh. Of course, life hates me.
The man waves his hand in my face, "Hello? Connie, I asked you if you're okay," he tells me.
I step back a little bit, for some reason I don't want to be anywhere near him. He scares the crap out of me. He’s huge and if you would just look at him you can see that he’s dangerous.
I reply to him in the most confident voice I could muster, "I'm fine." But instead of it being my confident normal voice it comes out as a whimper.
He bends down to look me in the eye, a creepy smirk on his face.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes," I say. This time it comes out firmer.
"Just trying to help, but if you don't want it, fine. I'm gone," he turns around and in his left hand I see a black crowbar.
A gasp emits from my mouth and I drop to the ground.
And as I lay there I can finally remember what happened. I am thrown back into my memories.
I'm walking up to the gate that leads me to Buttercup and Blackjack' s dry lot when I feel a hand on my shoulder, forcing me to turn towards them. The bucket falls from my hand, and my eyes widen at the sight of Phillip standing before me with a crowbar. Crap... What is he planning on doing with that crowbar?
He raises the crowbar ready to strike, but I stumble back in surprise, with my mouth hanging open in horror. 'What the hell is he doing?' A voice shrieks inside my head.
"This is what you get for trying to interfere with my brother and I's business," and the crowbar smashes into my jaw.
Once.
Twice.
Three times.
My eyes roll back into my skull and I swear I see my life flash before my eyes. Me marrying Roger, having Cherie, Stacie, and Jason; then, finally having Courtney my youngest. This can't be happening. I can't leave them. I fight to stay conscious. Before too long, I can't keep my eyes open and everything goes black.
I come back to the present, my eyes as wide as saucers. I cannot believe what happened to me and I'm still alive. Suddenly anger fills me. How dare he try to take me away from my children?
But before I can do something that I'd regret my cellphone beeps. I slowly take my phone out of my pocket, watching Philips' figure disappear into the barn, while clicking the text from my daughter, Courtney, open.
From: My Youngest
Mom, where are you?? You were supposed to pick me up thirty minutes ago!
To: My Youngest
I'll be there in 5, but something happened. We have to go to the hospital.
I sigh and look up at the sky.
I may not be able to talk or eat solid foods for a while, but I'm alive. And
That is all that matters.
So I put my hands together and thank God for saving me today.
I definitely just lived a miracle.