Time and Time Again | Teen Ink

Time and Time Again

By sakemori GOLD, Henderson, Nevada
sakemori GOLD, Henderson, Nevada

"You'll never know why that person is the way they are until you walk in their shoes."

It isn't often I'm proven wrong. Especially when it comes to McKenzie Miller and her messed up family. But this new revelation tops the cake.

"Jason," Kenzie sniffles and I open my arms to her. I don't know what's got her crying but I'll kill the guy that caused it. I swear to God I will.

She jumps straight into them and I feel wet droplets of her tears stain the front of my t-shirt. Jesus, I'm definitely killing the guy. Nobody messes with my girlfriend. Nobody.

"What happened?" I growl and she sniffles again and burrows her head in the crook of my neck. I feel her shiver and I clutch her tighter to my chest, careful not to suffocate her.

"It's...," her voice wavers for a second and I hear her clear her throat. "It's Grandad...he died just five minutes a go."

At first, I feel relief then what she said hits me like a semi-truck. Oh, God. My poor sweet, sweet Kenzie.

"So now the family is out for revenge after his fatal mugging?" I ask, quite serious, and I feel her look up at me. I look down to find her brilliant green eyes narrowed and I gulp. Wrong thing to say.

"No," she snaps and I flinch. "They are grieving, you d---!"

"Sorry, sorry. I was just wondering," I say and sigh. God, I'm an idiot. I pull her back to my chest and I feel her burrow her head in my neck again. Never saw that one coming. The Millers are always put for revenge when someone in their family gets hurt by another person.

I put my chin on the crown of her head and close my eyes. Man, I totally got that one wrong.

Just something to pass the time....I think I'm a little morbid. This is the second article I wrote where someone dies. Yikes..