24/7, 365 days a year, but whatever happened to the value of a second? | Teen Ink

24/7, 365 days a year, but whatever happened to the value of a second?

By AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York
AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York

"Many that live deserve death and some that have died deserve life, can you give that to them? Do not be to hasty to deal out death and judgement, even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Can't get no more free randy!"

Sometimes all you need is a second, a tiny fraction of time to take in your surroundings.
Aunt Jemima’s syrup… A hastily opened bag of plastic cups… A lamp sitting carelessly on a fold-able chair.
It’s these moments that give you the best look at how your life really is, like changing the lens on someone’s bifocals. Gunshots ringing in the background like hell itself in my ears…
I wish my brother would turn down the volume on the video games. Some of us have really important things to do… like watching TV show episodes online after their air dates…
Who would've known that staring blankly at strictly for show coasters would make feel so worthless…? I go to sleep, I wake up, and I do it all over again. My report card might have not brought the best results but if summer had a report card I assure you I’d get 100 in Monotony.
I’m a lazy, ambitious, complacent, prideful, slob. Who would want to deal with that? What college is going to sponsor that? I sure wouldn't. But it’s all okay, because next year I’ll be the best me there ever was. I've said that for the past 3 years…
My glasses look crooked; I should probably get contacts… Especially since I usually spend a good amount of time looking at things that’ll never even acknowledge me. Sometimes I just want to feel like I’m important; in the eyes of someone else. Sure I've got a lot of Facebook groups on the margins of my page…but how many of those people really care about me? What happens when my newest meme says “This is a cry for help,” will they still laugh at it?
But I’ll talk to them anyways… so it’s okay.
It’s okay since I don’t really make a fuss about anything. It’s not like I’m at the bottom of my class or like I have no friends and my family doesn't love me. They do. And I do have friends and my scholastic career is above average yet I’m still… empty.
Like the lamp sitting on the fold-able chair I’m… out of place. And I’m too cowardly to ever say this to anyone so instead I’ll write this and I’ll put out little hints for people to catch.
A little fly in the air asking politely for a swat. And maybe I’ll get one. Maybe I won’t.
I’ll even post this on some websites for someone to see. And I’ll get some nice comments like “I can relate.” And maybe they can but that doesn't fill up the half empty cup of water in front of me…
So I’ll just take a second, and sit here blankly staring off into the surroundings.
And then a second became a lifetime.

Inspired by just taking a second to capture my surroundings.

Padfoot507 PLATINUM, Omaha, Nebraska

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
-Albus Dumbledore

"I'm just a little bit caught in the middle,
Life is a maze, and love is a ridde."
-Lenka

This. This. Is writing. I hardly know what to say, Acid. You hit it right on the head. This is so real and raw, and it's true, I can relate. I think we all have those moments where we just suddenly get hit with it all, but you were able to put it into words. Congrats on this amazing piece, Acid! Keep writing, I can't wait to see how far you go :)

Truth_and_Love SILVER, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Dude, I thought this piece was really good. I rated it "loved it" because it was genuine. It came from a true place. That is what I crave in art. You touched on so many things that I, and I'm sure many others can relate to. Keep it up, man. I know that I'll definetely check it out some of your other works after reading this. 

Antlers GOLD said...
Antlers GOLD, Perryton, Texas

Evil is non-existent in the eyes of the heart.

The plain descriptions of things reminds me of Earnest Hemmingway, his style was straight and to the point. He didnt bother putting make-up on his words. 

He fed you a story, Raw. 

Great work. 

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

No problem! I really enjoyed the read :)

AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York

"Can't get no more free randy!"

You know in this piece I said "...but it won't fill up the half empty glass of water in front of me," but   when i read your comment my cup was full O.o Way to contradict my whole piece xD Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it a lot.  

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Well, I can relate. At least to the part about feeling empty but not wanting to share that with people, you know? Very well written and insightful, and I guess thank you for putting your thoughts down for others to see....that's hard sometimes. 5/5. And good luck! :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Wow...I'm wasting so much time. It makes me think about all the things I could do. Very powerful. Great title too. 

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

wow. soooo powerful. it made me think about how much time im wasting doing absolutely nothing