Water Down the Drain | Teen Ink

Water Down the Drain

By PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey

"There will always be someone who is smarter than you. Skinnier than you. Stronger than you. More popular than you. There will always be someone better than you, but there will never be someone who is YOU."

This morning I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. My body ached, my hair was a mess, and the pain in my head would still not go away. I slowly dragged my tired body downstairs. My brain seemed to fall into asleep into deep darkness as I sit there in the kitchen.

My whole body was numb until I heard something; something that made my whole body cringe. It was the sink. My mother had turned on the faucet and wasn’t even using the sink! It seemed like an eternity until somebody spoke, with the water still going down the drain. I tried to stifle my urges, I fought off my words, and I was silent until I could bear the deafening faucet no longer.

“I bet you won’t be able to do that in twenty years,” I shouted over the faucet that was still running.

“Do what,” my mother asked, with a concerned look on her face. She had finally turned off the faucet.

I didn’t know what to say, she would never understand. I was lost in the world of my thoughts. Endless piles of phrases and facts I wanted to say. I moved my lips, but no words came out. I was a prisoner of my own mind, and there was nothing I could do about it.

“Nothing,” I finally managed to say, “it’s nothing.”

My mother just smiled, still, with concerned eyes. Then she said she was always there for me if I ever needed to talk to her, but I knew better. And, with that, she turned the water on again, and went to the fridge.

That’s when I lost it. I screamed at the top of my lungs as hundreds of gallons of water escaped the sink every second. Finally, I forced the words I wanted to come out of my mouth.

“There are children in Africa who can’t even get their hands on one glass of water, and this is what you’re doing??!!”

I darted out the front door with the sound of my mother screaming and the faucet still running.

I sprinted down the endless streets faster than the speed of light. I was free-but then, I wasn’t. I still couldn’t escape the madness that so consumed the world. I was trapped in a room with the walls caving in on me. I didn’t want to go home; I didn’t want to go anywhere, not ever again. My body ached, my hair was a mess, and after everything, the pain in my head would still not go away.

This represents my feelings. I feel very strongly on conservation. We probably will not have all the resources we have today in 20 years, including water. It's very hard for me to explain this, but you must understand...before it's too late.

I actually wrote this peice a long time ago, so my writing has improved greatly, but I really appreciate your feedback and support. It means the world, and I am really excited to see what you have coming soon. Please write something soon!

DreamersJourney SILVER, Old Massett, Other

"The best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing."
"Decide to have an attitude of gratitude, you can become bitter or better."
"beYOUtiful, everyone else is taken."

Simply great:) indeed no wonder at all why it's writers choice. You writing scheme was intriguing, and worth reading every word.

Hi lovie! Sorry it took me so long to respond! I didn't see your comments. Thank you for your feedback! I am aware that water is not the only thing that must be conserved. I just felt water would be the most appropriate thing to write about. I will consider writing about other things to conserve. Thank you, again!!!

lovie said...
there are many resources to conserve, not just water. There is engery such as ; turning out lights, refrain from using airconditioners and heat, ride a bike instead of a car ect...

Thank you so much! Ater reading your comment, my smile cannot leave my face. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback and how you stuck to your word! Thank you again! Can't wait to see your new article!

vinemagic123 BRONZE, Zoo Lane, Other

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I'm possible! ' - Audrey Hepburn
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S Thompson

wow. beautifully written. calling it outstanding would be an understatement

Thank you soooo much!! Just made my life! Haha. I read all your poetry and you have great skills. It took my awhile to get here but you got to keep writing. That's the most important thing. I also encourage you to try fiction, or different types of poetry and writing.  Thanks again!!

boundlesswildflower SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities." - faults in our stars by John Green

Literal but has so many implicite metaphors all around. I love it, no wonder its the writers choice :).