My Neighbor Jack | Teen Ink

My Neighbor Jack

By PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey
PoetAndYouKnowIt PLATINUM, Westfield, New Jersey

"There will always be someone who is smarter than you. Skinnier than you. Stronger than you. More popular than you. There will always be someone better than you, but there will never be someone who is YOU."

My neighbor, who I've always known, has a little son named Jack who is in the third grade. Jack has always been a sweet boy. He has always been very curious and thirsty for knowledge. His father says it is both a blessing and a curse.

One day, when I was walking home from school, I passed Jack’s house, as I did every day, but today, I saw something different. Jack was outside. He was with his father doing some yard work. I stopped to say hello to them, but before I could reach their yard, Jack came running up to me with a concerned look on his face.
Worried, I quickly asked, “What’s wrong, Jack?”
He did not respond to me immediately, which only made my heart beat faster.
“You’re a grown up, right?” He finally managed.
“Yeah, I mean, I think so. I am fourteen years old.”
“Well, I have a grown up question for you that my Daddy never answers.”
Nervous, I quickly asked, “Okay…what’s your question?”
He suddenly turned completely white. At that moment I didn't know what to think. I was so worried I just wished he would answer me.

“Um…what does, “gay” mean?”

The words hit me like a truck as they escaped his mouth like a criminal from a crime scene. I felt as if I had just been slapped in the face. A thousand thoughts quickly pervaded my brain. What do I tell this kid, I wondered. Do I tell him the truth? I don't want to make Jack a bully! That last thought horrified me as I tried to think of something to say. Something cheap and phony that a nine year old would believe.

Jack stared at me impatiently. I knew I had to say something fast before his Dad came over. And then it hit me. I wondered where he had even heard that word in the first place, being so young.

“Where did you hear that word, Jack?” I questioned.

He looked at me. Right into my eyes. He was looking at me so deeply as if he was looking directly into my soul. He gulped and began, “At school. The older kids say it a lot and then they laugh. Also, sometimes on the streets when Daddy takes me for a walk in town. But mostly on the television when Mommy and Daddy watch the news before dinner. Is it a joke or something?”

I then realized that this was serious. Suddenly, everything made sense and Jack wasn't making any of it up either. I knew I had to do the right thing and say something. What will I be teaching him if I do tell him? What will I be teaching him if I don’t?

But then, everything froze. I finally had the right words. I took a deep breath and looked him right in the eyes.

“Jack, “gay” means to be afraid and hide. But now you are not afraid anymore. You have won the war. You are now who you were meant to be.”

His next words would leave me speechless for years.

“I’m gay, Daddy.”