The Ring | Teen Ink

The Ring

By PrettyOdd SILVER, Connellsville, Pennsylvania
PrettyOdd SILVER, Connellsville, Pennsylvania

"Don't listen to them when they say it's just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world. The smallest thing can make all the difference. Love is alive."
-Carrie Underwood

He stared at the ring he just took knowing he couldn't get caught after making it past the cops. He couldn't believe that the simple little lie had almost got him arrested. The scream of the lady who rightfully owned the ring haunted him as he ran from the cops. Now though, he stood in the dark woods alone breathing heavily. He took only a few moments to catch his breath before leaving again, this time slower though. He had to be at the lake soon to meet her. He didn't want to steal the ring, and he certainly did not want to give it to “her.” He couldn't believe how he had got into this.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

He was mumbling about how self-centered the the girl was when she asked him what he said. They were standing outside of her wealthy father's restaurant that was filled with business. Him and his friend were on a short break.

“Just saying how beautiful you are,” He had lied trying to cover himself quickly.

He knew if she didn't like him, he'd be fired for sure. Nobody understood how much he needed that money. He was in college, and his younger sister moved in with him. He didn't have the money to pay for college and his sister, but he couldn't tell her she couldn't move in with him. He wanted to be there for her. Without this job, he was done for. His job at the restaurant paid good enough to get by, and he doubted he be able to get another one if he was fired.

He never would have guessed though that three months of little compliments to his bosses daughter to protect his job later, she'd want a ring. The last thing he wanted to do was marry the girl, but there he was stealing an expensive ring to propose to a woman who drove him crazy! All he wanted to do was save his job so that he could support himself and his sister! He never wanted all of this! His only options were to propose to her and be stuck as her husband, or tell her that all of the compliments were lies and risk losing his job!

He took a deep breath, and stepped towards the lake where she was already waiting. The moonlight hit the crystal clear water perfectly, and he noticed she was staring into the water. He figured she was staring at her reflection, not the beauty of the lake. Her pretty little high heels were probably meeting muddy ground instead of concrete for the first time ever. He took one more nervous breath, and stared at the shining diamond ring that he held tight in his hand. Step after nervous step, he approached the girl who could completely change his future within a second.

I wrote this for a school journal entry. I had to about a stolen ring, a scream, and a lie that gets bigger and bigger.