Hero Syndrome | Teen Ink

Hero Syndrome

December 11, 2013
By ChandaMan GOLD, Grandview, Texas
ChandaMan GOLD, Grandview, Texas
13 articles 0 photos 4 comments

"Do you know why you are here Art?" He asked the question to which I gave a shaky response. "Because you and the others running this nut house have diagnosed me with Hero Syndrom."
"That would be correct Mr.Art. So tell me why did you feel the need to do this? Give me a story of what you believe to be your greatist rescue."
I stared at the floor mulling over in my head what had started it all. "Well Doctor, I would be more than happy to talk, but...." I trailed off in my speech. "But what? Mr.Art." He asked genuinely concerned. "Well my jacket is a little to tight, and I wanted to know if you could remove it during our session?" I said batting my eyes in a desperate attempt to persuade him. "That is against regulations Art I'm afraid I can't do it. Unless you will be willing to tell me what I want to know without any problems. Sound like a fair deal?" I nodded my head yes and he removed my straight jacket.
I raised my arms in relief and began my story. "Well Doctor, I didn't always feel this was a need. But my entire life I was neglected and was an outcast. And when I saved that boy's life it made me feel........needed."
"So you saved a boy's life." The Doc said scribbling on his pad of paper. "How, exactly, did you manage that?"
"Well you see I was just on one of my normal walks. Children played in the streets as usual and cars drove by slowly without a care in the world. But one car, was in a hurry. I looked down the street to see this car going about sixty miles per hour down my small little road. And a kid, was still in the street. As quickly as I could I ran out and grabbed him and just barly made it by the racing car, saving both our skins."
"And this was the first time you ever felt excepted?" Doc asked still writing. "Yes. Yes it was. And after that I always looked for an opportunity to be a hero."
"Did such an opportunity ever come by again?" Doc stopped writing as he asked this question and stared at me. "No," I answered defeated. "Is this when you started to put other lives in danger at your own expense?" He questioned now writing again. "Yes." Was my calm reply.
"Well Art you are doing very well so far, care to answer my second main question now?" "If you insist. What was the question again?" I asked feeling proud. "What do you believe to be your greatist rescue?" He repeated a second time.
"Well that would have to be the time a saved that poor woman from dying of poison." I said with a smirk. "Well can you give me all the details Art, I know you set it all up but I need to know a story for your file here." He said persistent.
"Well I had been stalking this woman for a few days and I already had the room set up, and I figured she would be the perfect one to make me feel that hero vibe. So one day I drugged her and put her in the room. While she was out I poisoned her and put the antidote on a table on the other side of the room, guarded by a rabid dog. I watched her make numerous attempts from my camera in there and when I figured she had enough, before she died, I saved the day. I strolled in and shot the dog walked across the room, grabbed the cure, and went back to heal her." I ended my small story with a big smile.
"Well Art thats all I was required to get so I guess I will send you back to your room." Doc said getting up and grabbing the straight jacket.
"Wait Doc I just want to know one thing about you! Do you like games?" Doc pondered and answered with a, "I suppose." And with that I had my eyes set on the next person who would need me to be their hero.